Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you changed your rotary blade recently?

Blog Entries
    Ah sweet joy!
    Why on earth did I wait so long to change thee?

I am so frustrated after I sent in two pxs of my first tee-shirt quilt. I followed the directions carefully (or so I thought) and all I see when I look into "My posts" is a thumbnail px of the quilt and a download to do for the back of the quilt. The thumbnail is not elargeable. I have no idea what when wrong. Worse yet, when I went so proudly to find my quilt picture, all I see are beautiful LARGE pictures of other quilts. Does anyone have any ideas what I might have done wrong or is it because I took the px with an iphone and sent it to my email on the computer????

I probably need to change mine. though it is not skipping or anything. I have a Martelli cutter and Martelli blade in it and I have cut out probably 20 quilts with this same blade!!! Lasts so much longer than when I was putting Olfa blades in it!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    Ah sweet joy!
    I think we must all do that (laughter). Maybe we just love how it feels when we change the blade and out cutting goes like a whiz. Thanks for sharing.

I was taught to the old way to cut blocks pencil,sissors,and a templet of cardboard... look how far we have come.

-k
    I have been holding out...

There's nothing like cutting with a new blade!

Blog Entries
    Some will want to choke me but I change the rotary blade at the first skip! I don't want the hassle of cutting twice when all I need is to use a new blade. I use the Grace blade sharpener before every cutting session so I'm always sharpening a sharp blade. When it skips I don't mess with sharpening it any longer.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to change my blade, but must sharpen it. I use the Dritz rotary sharpening system. It's been a life-saver.

Ah sweet joy!
    I just changed mine last week ... and oh my gosh.... it was heaven again. I had the same reaction ... why did I wait so.... long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooneygone
    I am so frustrated after I sent in two pxs of my first tee-shirt quilt. I followed the directions carefully (or so I thought) and all I see when I look into "My posts" is a thumbnail px of the quilt and a download to do for the back of the quilt. The thumbnail is not elargeable. I have no idea what when wrong. Worse yet, when I went so proudly to find my quilt picture, all I see are beautiful LARGE pictures of other quilts. Does anyone have any ideas what I might have done wrong or is it because I took the px with an iphone and sent it to my email on the computer????
    I don't know the technicalities of the picture posting, except that when I put a picture from my camera onto my computer and then post it here, it comes out large. Maybe because you are sending it through e-mail it changes the size of the picture to do that. Or maybe your phone takes it small. Use a cord from your phone to the computer directly and see if that works. Send a PM to Admin for help, maybe.

Blog Entries
    In general I change my blade after 2 medium quilts, 3 small quilts, or 1-2 large quilts. Getting the blades at Harbor Freight brings the price down to about $1.50 each or so, and I can afford to throw them away for that!!

Also try sharpening them with those little hand turned gadgets. They work OK, but you'll never get the original sharpness back with it.

Ah sweet joy!
    I just changed mine this morning. Why have I tormented myself so!!??!!? Now that I know the difference, I am going to stock up on blades.

BUT - what do you do with the old blades? How do you dispose of them??

Maybe I should try sharpening my each time I use it. Otherwise I think the sharpeners are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Some will want to choke me but I change the rotary blade at the first skip! I don't want the hassle of cutting twice when all I need is to use a new blade. I use the Grace blade sharpener before every cutting session so I'm always sharpening a sharp blade. When it skips I don't mess with sharpening it any longer.

Maybe I should try sharpening my each time I use it. Otherwise I think the sharpeners are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo

I dispose of mine with in and old container (small plastic coffee container, or any small tin), and in my cubbord I have a small red sharps container from a friend who works in a dentist office. It will take me lifetime to fill it, LOL.

Blog Entries
    I just got 10 packages in the mail from Harbor Freight. That is 20 since each pack has two in it. My dear Daughter ordered them for me as a late Valentine present. I LOVE this present.

I had given up using my Martelli cutter after cracking 2 blades in it then I saw something that explained the notches on the Olfa blades. The Martelli cutter doesn't have a tension spring like the Olfa cutters do so it wobbles if you use the notched blades. Big Duh! moment for me. I snatched up some un-notched Fiskars blades for it at Joann's a few weeks ago and put my little red baby back to work and just went to town cutting up flannel scraps. I was stiff & sore that evening! I was enjoying my old gadget so much I didn't realize how long I worked. There is no way I could have cut up all my flannel scraps with one of my Olfa cutters in a single session.

Every time I start a new quilt, I change my cutting blade. If I do some smaller table runners, I won't change as often.

New, sharp blades and new, sharp needles in the machine.
    learned long ago to keep up with that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbud2
    Ah sweet joy!
    I just changed mine this morning. Why have I tormented myself so!!??!!? Now that I know the difference, I am going to stock up on blades.

BUT - what do you do with the old blades? How do you dispose of them??
    I have an empty face cream jar that I put mine in and put the lid on. When it gets full , then in the trash it goes and I get another jar.

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Well, I am so cheap! Just realized that, thank you. I use up the blade till there's almost nothing left, then I sharpen it!

The old blade goes in an empty blade container that I saved and marked (literally) USED so I can tell the difference. I re-use them when I cut fleece and paper because I find that both ruin the blades.

There is very little that I actually throw away. Yeah, I'd like to say frugal but, truth is, I'm cheap.

Blog Entries
    I looked at Harbor Freight web site and could find no rotary cutting tools or blades. Please advise!
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
    Well, I am so cheap! Just realized that, thank you. I use up the blade till there's almost nothing left, then I sharpen it!

The old blade goes in an empty blade container that I saved and marked (literally) USED so I can tell the difference. I re-use them when I cut fleece and paper because I find that both ruin the blades.

There is very little that I actually throw away. Yeah, I'd like to say frugal but, truth is, I'm cheap.
    Ditto me to..lol :D :thumbup:

Thanks for the post. It is way past time to change my blade and I have no excuse for not doing so.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast