Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I cleaned my own Bernina... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cleaned-my-own-bernina-t202926.html)

maryann in Indiana 10-11-2012 04:58 AM

I cleaned my own Bernina...

I am so proud of myself. I watched a You Tube video showing how to clean a Bernina, and I actually did it myself. My husband was totally impressed when I told him. Where I live in Indiana, I am 1.5 hours from a Bernina dealer, so I decided to try. When I removed the throat plate I almost fainted. No wonder my maching was clunking...it was full of dust "clumps". I brushed them away, applied the oil, and put the whole thing back together. Now my machine sews beautifully and is totally quiet. Today I'm giving myself $50 for a job well done!!

susie-susie-susie 10-11-2012 05:01 AM

Good for you. It will get easier the more you do it. I do my Janome after every project. Sometimes I am surprised by how much junk is in there!
Sue

SewExtremeSeams 10-11-2012 05:02 AM

Good for you. What video did you watch?

In my area it was $85 and that was a year ago.

Jingle 10-11-2012 05:12 AM

I keep my own machines cleaned and oiled. I hate delays and taking machines to be serviced is a pain. Cleanings are not that bad and do not take long.

decky 10-11-2012 05:19 AM

I have two Bernina's that I clean and oil after each project. Also have 3 featherweights that I clean after each use. I went to a class on how to take care of the FW's as there are so many spots that need either oil or grease to keep them running smoothly.

Pat in MN

BellaBoo 10-11-2012 05:46 AM

I'm not afraid to take any machine I have apart, even the computer one. The computer part is enclosed, you can't get to it anyway so don't worry about messing that up. The hardest thing to figure out is how to get the housing off. LOL All you need is to get to the moving parts to clean and lubricate.

Lori S 10-11-2012 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5577697)
I'm not afraid to take any machine I have apart, even the computer one. The computer part is enclosed, you can't get to it anyway so don't worry about messing that up. The hardest thing to figure out is how to get the housing off. LOL All you need is to get to the moving parts to clean and lubricate.

I still have not figured out how to get the housing off my 20 year old computer viking. Really wish I could , I just know there are more lint bundles deeper in the machine.

QuiltnNan 10-11-2012 06:01 AM

congrats on getting the cleaning done!

Tartan 10-11-2012 07:52 AM

I do my regular cleaning and oiling of the bobbin hook of my Bernina myself. Any more than that voids my warranty so I leave the rest to the B maintenance guy.

jcrow 10-11-2012 07:56 AM

I have a Bernina 830 and don't know if I can take it apart and clean it. I do the cleaning of lint and oiling the bobbin, but that's all. I don't know if I should try and do more. I don't have to pay to have it serviced yet. They do it for free so far. But I wouldn't mind learning how to. Only if I didn't void the warranty and didn't hurt the machine.