Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I could sure use suggestions. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-could-sure-use-suggestions-t49107.html)

sahm4605 06-11-2010 09:45 AM

i say combine the person who posted to make the blocks wonky with shopella's suggestion. make the block crooked and then do a yellow brick road around the blocks ( so they will be a nice square) and for a boarder to finish it off, use the red in the block to tie it in. and for the reverse use a very colorful rainbow like fabric or even a fabric that has little rainbows all over it. for the quilting I would use a tornado or slippers or the dog pattern. use invisible thread to highlight Dorthy or another in each of the blocks also.

dsb38327 06-11-2010 09:48 AM

I like the blocks. I don't have crafty ideas so I can't offer a suggestion. I am enjoying all the suggestions you have gotten and can't wait to see the quilt./Regards, Dorothy

oatw13 06-11-2010 09:52 AM

Don't be afraid to use the more traditional colors and patterns that are associated with the Wizard of Oz. By incorporating the red (ruby red slippers), blue and white gingham (Dorothy's dress), yellow (Cowardly Lion), silver or gray (Tin Man), etc. the quilt may match the rest of her collection better. Just because those colors aren't in these blocks doesn't mean you can't use them. We all know what colors are traditionally seen in the Wizard of Oz and so those colors will look natural with your blocks.

By the way, I love the sepia-tone pictures!

Whatever you decide, I am sure your friend will love it!

craftybear 06-11-2010 11:58 AM

wow, cool ideas, I would suggest red sashings around each block, please post when you get the quilt done, will love to see it

ktbb 06-11-2010 12:04 PM

always one for different ideas, how about using only the five different blocks...use them in a large 9patch in four corners plus center, then make the other four blocks out of a mottled dark red...using all nine is almost too much for me, especially since most are duplicates. I like the wonky idea, and you could use the plain blocks to do wonky log cabin to reflect the tornado and the cabin, then even applique toto and other WOO characters on these four blocks.

Lisa773 06-12-2010 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I would change the layout and put kneeling D in the center because it is the only single. Then I would put D with wheel in two opposite corners and D with hands out in the other two opposite corners. Marvel stone blocks on each side and D with wizard top and bottom center.

Then I totally agree with the red sashing. It would really pop the blocks. The corner stones could be a beige or even a gold/deep ochre tone from the blocks.

It will be beautiful no matter what you decide.

I agree with MadQuilter on the layout and red sashing would be great! It really would bring out the little red borders. I, too, love the Wizard of Oz and these panels are wonderful! Good luck and please post pics as you go along!!

insecurity 06-12-2010 04:08 AM

I love the "wonky idea and the red sashing. I would make the outer boarder yellow (if you could find a brick patterned fabric, or piece bricks and then do a rainbow, spiral binding...!

insecurity 06-12-2010 04:09 AM

I love the "wonky idea and the red sashing. I would make the outer boarder yellow (if you could find a brick patterned fabric, or piece bricks and then do a rainbow, spiral binding...!

jcrilley 06-12-2010 04:49 AM

Isn't there a pattern supplied by the manufacturer for these prints? Also, I have seen Ruby Slipper Red material at my quilt shop that goes with this. I'm sure there are others too. Try searching the website of the manufacturer to see if they have something availble

hobo2000 06-12-2010 04:58 AM

I jusr did a quilt like this all wonky blocks of Cats and at the show everyone wanted to buy that quilts because it was so different. I did 3" sashing in two colors sewn together and kind of alternated that also. It really was a fun quilt.