Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I could sure use suggestions.

Blog Entries
    I bought these Wizard of Oz blocks to make something unique for a friend who seems to already have everything in the W-O-O theme. The sepia-type colors of the photo are surrounded by a matching brown check with a thin red border immediately around the photo. You can see there are 9 blocks, four of which have a duplicate. I don't know if my friend likes browns very much, but there isn't a lot of red in the blocks. I'm having trouble with a layout and border ideas. This will be hand-quilted, so ideas for quilting designs would be greatly appreciated, too. Please help! Thanks so much for all the fabulous ideas you all share.

wizofozfab
    Name:  Attachment-82911.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  80.1 KB

I really think highlighting the little bit of red in the blocks with using red for the sashing would help to compensate for all that brown! Maybe if you used brown cornerstones? I have no idea what to suggest when it comes to quilting, unless maybe you either echo quilted around the main parts of the block, or you used something from the movie (as in the ruby slippers) as a motif in each of th blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I really think highlighting the little bit of red in the blocks with using red for the sashing would help to compensate for all that brown! Maybe if you used brown cornerstones? I have no idea what to suggest when it comes to quilting, unless maybe you either echo quilted around the main parts of the block, or you used something from the movie (as in the ruby slippers) as a motif in each of th blocks.
    I second all of this :) Especially the red sashing ...

Good luck with this.

I LOVE the Wizard of Oz. My favorite movie!

I also have a huge stack of wizard of Oz fabric that I have yet to use. I will be watching this thread for ideas from everyone. You could quilt with O and Z all over, or small dogs.

Blog Entries
    I would change the layout and put kneeling D in the center because it is the only single. Then I would put D with wheel in two opposite corners and D with hands out in the other two opposite corners. Marvel stone blocks on each side and D with wizard top and bottom center.

Then I totally agree with the red sashing. It would really pop the blocks. The corner stones could be a beige or even a gold/deep ochre tone from the blocks.

It will be beautiful no matter what you decide.

I agree with the red sashing. But I also think it woudl be adorable to make it kind of wonky, in keeping with the tornado out of control type theme of the movie.

Place each block, not squared, but angled. with different angles to each other, not a lot, just a little.

I like MadQuilter's ideas. I think too a nice deep red and then a tan. I like her layout idea too. Can't wait to see pics when done.

Quote Originally Posted by kclausing
    I agree with the red sashing. But I also think it woudl be adorable to make it kind of wonky, in keeping with the tornado out of control type theme of the movie.

Place each block, not squared, but angled. with different angles to each other, not a lot, just a little.

I think this is a FABULOUS idea!

Quote Originally Posted by kclausing

Now that sounds like a really neat idea. Would certainly add some interest to the quilt.

Blog Entries
    What they all said!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    What they all said!! :-)
    me too! :)

Ditter

I saw a quilt on this site that i thought would be a great layout style for this w.o.o. quilt. check it out, it even has the wonky layout I referred ot earlier.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48894-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I have a rather off-the wall suggestion: start with red sashing in the very middle and get more and more colorful until the outside borders which are in a riot of rainbow colors (like when Dorothy landed in Oz). Maybe even a lollipop fabric here and there. For quilting the blocks, I might try some outlining of the central figures in each block in a thread that won't show up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    I have a rather off-the wall suggestion: start with red sashing in the very middle and get more and more colorful until the outside borders which are in a riot of rainbow colors (like when Dorothy landed in Oz). Maybe even a lollipop fabric here and there. For quilting the blocks, I might try some outlining of the central figures in each block in a thread that won't show up too much.
    Great Idea!

I have a large amount of both the sepia and the colour collection. I plan on making the sepia side very plain with just the sepia and brown colours and the other side will be the colourful side in keeping with the tradition of the movie.Both will be in squares framed to make them look like the film strip stills that they are and the quilt will be reversible. One side for when we are in Kansas and the other for when we are not in Kansas anymore. Fell free to take parts of this idea as it may be a while before I get working on it.

Blog Entries
    You all are fabulous! I wish I could use every one of the suggestions so far. They are ingenious. Keep them coming!

I have 2 ideas one is follow the Yellow brick road! you could do strips of yellow/gold and quilt them to look like bricks. and the other is Dorthy is from Kanses what about looking up the block for that state and using it to break up the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    Ditto this suggestion too!

Those are beautiful. I love the septa tones to the pics. I agree pick up the red and use it for the borders. Keep us posted on how it goes.

i say combine the person who posted to make the blocks wonky with shopella's suggestion. make the block crooked and then do a yellow brick road around the blocks ( so they will be a nice square) and for a boarder to finish it off, use the red in the block to tie it in. and for the reverse use a very colorful rainbow like fabric or even a fabric that has little rainbows all over it. for the quilting I would use a tornado or slippers or the dog pattern. use invisible thread to highlight Dorthy or another in each of the blocks also.

Blog Entries
    I like the blocks. I don't have crafty ideas so I can't offer a suggestion. I am enjoying all the suggestions you have gotten and can't wait to see the quilt./Regards, Dorothy

Don't be afraid to use the more traditional colors and patterns that are associated with the Wizard of Oz. By incorporating the red (ruby red slippers), blue and white gingham (Dorothy's dress), yellow (Cowardly Lion), silver or gray (Tin Man), etc. the quilt may match the rest of her collection better. Just because those colors aren't in these blocks doesn't mean you can't use them. We all know what colors are traditionally seen in the Wizard of Oz and so those colors will look natural with your blocks.

By the way, I love the sepia-tone pictures!

Whatever you decide, I am sure your friend will love it!

Blog Entries
    wow, cool ideas, I would suggest red sashings around each block, please post when you get the quilt done, will love to see it

always one for different ideas, how about using only the five different blocks...use them in a large 9patch in four corners plus center, then make the other four blocks out of a mottled dark red...using all nine is almost too much for me, especially since most are duplicates. I like the wonky idea, and you could use the plain blocks to do wonky log cabin to reflect the tornado and the cabin, then even applique toto and other WOO characters on these four blocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast