Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
attn: if you use a cricut and use 3rd party software (make the cut or sure cuts a lot) read this >

attn: if you use a cricut and use 3rd party software (make the cut or sure cuts a lot) read this

attn: if you use a cricut and use 3rd party software (make the cut or sure cuts a lot) read this

Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM

The owners of Make the Cut have settled a lawsuit with Provo Craft and their software will no longer work on any cricut machines. Provo Craft is in the process of suing the owners of Sure Cuts a Lot as well. If you want to continue using your cricut machines with either of these programs, be sure not to update your cricut's firmware and in the case of Make the Cut, don't install newer versions of the software (same with Sure Cuts a Lot once they can't sell it anymore-I'm sure they'll settle-they can't afford to compete with Bank of America, which owns most of Provo Craft).
Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 AM

Wow great info. Where did you learn all this? I own the Sure cuts a lot. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 AM

Do you know if I would need Sure Cuts to cut fabric on my Cricut? I have been wanting to cut a few pieces for a wall hanging. I haven't tried cutting fabric yet.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Sales of MTC and SCAL have also helped out sales of Provo Craft's Cricut line. IMHO, Provo Craft is shooting themselves in the foot with these lawsuits. My suggestion is to stick with 3rd party software...other companies make electronic cutters and actually encourage personal creativity!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 PM

I read about it originally at splitcoast stampers. I did read about when they first sued which was about a year ago. Here are some links:
http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/2011/...h-provo-craft/

http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/2011/...ht-violations/

I'm getting a silhouette sd tomorrow and hopefully can find a new home for my cricut (which works fine, but I want to be able to update MTC and SCAL in the future).
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by sandyl
Do you know if I would need Sure Cuts to cut fabric on my Cricut? I have been wanting to cut a few pieces for a wall hanging. I haven't tried cutting fabric yet.
No, you don't need it if you have cartridges with the images you want to cut.