Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I could sure use suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I would change the layout and put kneeling D in the center because it is the only single. Then I would put D with wheel in two opposite corners and D with hands out in the other two opposite corners. Marvel stone blocks on each side and D with wizard top and bottom center.

Then I totally agree with the red sashing. It would really pop the blocks. The corner stones could be a beige or even a gold/deep ochre tone from the blocks.

It will be beautiful no matter what you decide.
    I agree with MadQuilter on the layout and red sashing would be great! It really would bring out the little red borders. I, too, love the Wizard of Oz and these panels are wonderful! Good luck and please post pics as you go along!!

I love the "wonky idea and the red sashing. I would make the outer boarder yellow (if you could find a brick patterned fabric, or piece bricks and then do a rainbow, spiral binding...!

I love the "wonky idea and the red sashing. I would make the outer boarder yellow (if you could find a brick patterned fabric, or piece bricks and then do a rainbow, spiral binding...!

Blog Entries
    Isn't there a pattern supplied by the manufacturer for these prints? Also, I have seen Ruby Slipper Red material at my quilt shop that goes with this. I'm sure there are others too. Try searching the website of the manufacturer to see if they have something availble

Blog Entries
    I jusr did a quilt like this all wonky blocks of Cats and at the show everyone wanted to buy that quilts because it was so different. I did 3" sashing in two colors sewn together and kind of alternated that also. It really was a fun quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower126
    Quote Originally Posted by kclausing
    I agree with the red sashing. But I also think it woudl be adorable to make it kind of wonky, in keeping with the tornado out of control type theme of the movie.

Place each block, not squared, but angled. with different angles to each other, not a lot, just a little.
    Now that sounds like a really neat idea. Would certainly add some interest to the quilt.
    A little beige in the squares might lighten them up just a bit too.
    Great ideas!!

actually whatever u have them laying on looks very nice i would look for something with a paisley or tapestry print in the reds and browns i love dark red and burgundy with browns and tans it is such a striking look like the red black and white quilts good luck love the wizard of oz prints cant wait to see what u come up with

Since you are cutting blocks apart anyway I would not use the repeats myself, you can do the red sashing as many suggested and then maybe sq in sq borders then a flying geese border either around entire quilt or just sides using more colors since you were saying too much brown and I do like the lollipop fabric idea, just depends if you want fun or conservative. ( I tend to go with fun) what ever you decide let us see it when you finish.

I love this fabric my sister collects everything from Wizard of Oz. She has breast cancer so i made her a quilt, I printed pic of woz from computer on fabric, she loved it, i just found a large panel of the wicked witch and just sewed the edges. i'm giving it to her today. Post pic when you decide. would love to see it. Denise

I agree with the red sashing. But I also think it woudl be adorable to make it kind of wonky, in keeping with the tornado out of control type theme of the movie.

Place each block, not squared, but angled. with different angles to each other, not a lot, just a little.
    great idea! that would make it interesting, not just a "picture quilt" maybe crooked log cabin pattern, with several reds and browns and tans around the panels?

i love Wizard of Oz and all the suggestions on here are great! your friend will love whatever you do with the blocks. for everyone that love w-o-o check out John Pinette's Oz Buffet on YOu Tube! you will die laughing!

!

Ditto!

I also agree with the red to make it pop and the idea of little angles is awesome!

I would pull out the repeats and only use one of each. I would use gold and red and maybe black as additional fabrics. Just to break up the blocks a bit, I would put log cabin blocks or other quilt blocks in between the picture blocks. How about a black center and use a variety of gold and reds in the log cabin blocks. I think that would be nice. As an example, here is a quilt i did for my hubby that used log cabin blocks and it works great, just as an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the idea of Red Sashing, but I would use the Matching Red from the fabric with very small darker red dots that look solid from a distance. The rainbow Idea is great to use. I would get the Ombre Fabric for that. The same kind Nancy Zieman used on her show, that gradates from the darkest color to the lightest color.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    always one for different ideas, how about using only the five different blocks...use them in a large 9patch in four corners plus center, then make the other four blocks out of a mottled dark red...using all nine is almost too much for me, especially since most are duplicates. I like the wonky idea, and you could use the plain blocks to do wonky log cabin to reflect the tornado and the cabin, then even applique toto and other WOO characters on these four blocks.
    You could also use the extra blocks on the back of the quilt.

There are already so many good ideas here, but here's another one. Is your friend an OZ fan of just the movie, or the books as well? In the books, the land is divided up into four quadrants, with the Emerald City being in the middle. The Muchkins are blue, the Winkies are yellow, the Quadlings are purple, and the Gillikans (sp?)are red (sorry, can't spell them). You could use bright or muted colors of these to frame each picture. Of course, if she only loves the movie, the four colors won't mean much to her. Just one more idea.

could you alternate the oz blocks with some plain blocks or other type of pieced blocks and you could still use shashing.

The first thing I thought of was yellow brick road, which someone else mentioned, to include quilted bricks; I like the rainbow idea also. You've got extensive sepia, except for the bit of red, so I think it's possibly open to some bright colors around the pictures. (I like the wonky, tornado-tossed look idea also.)

Add some more red and please quilt at least a small tornado on your quilt!!

I am really looking forward to your finish WOZ quilt. Some really great suggestions here. Tornado quilting would look great.

i would go with red sashing to bring the red in the pictures out

Look at your photoe the blocks are already resting on the perfect colour combination.

Oh I like this idea. Then red & cream for the borders. Good Luck!

Banned

me too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast