Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I didn't know this!! Did you know this???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-didnt-know-did-you-know-t176081.html)

so-sew 01-19-2012 03:59 AM

This is all new to me. Thanks for the enlightenment.

JoyjoyMarie 01-19-2012 04:14 AM

I'm with Ghostrider- seems like it goes thru the fabric on the needle the same way whether you are right or left handed! And what do we do if we hand sew with what is left on our bobbin? I have a feeling that could be the opposite of pulling off the spool, but am not sufficiently awake to figure it out right now!! :)

jitkaau 01-19-2012 04:30 AM

Same thing happens with embroidery floss. Run your pinched fingers down the strand of embroidery floss and it should feel smooth. If it feels 'rougher', thread from the other end. Handy to know if you are doing hand applique.

marymay 01-19-2012 04:59 AM

I learned this in High School. To many years to count.

MaryAnnMc 01-19-2012 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird (Post 4887256)
I will sometimes put several needles onto the thread while still on the spool and then just slide them back as I take them off one at a time with the desired amount of thread. That way I don't have to worry about forgetting which end of the thread to put through the eye. Ann in TN

Now that's brilliant!!!! Saves hunting for my super-duper up-close reading glasses.

onaemtnest 01-19-2012 05:58 AM

I did know about the method if you are right handed and never gave a thought to reversing if you are left handed. Interesting! I will sometimes put several needles onto the thread while still on the spool and then just slide them back as I take them off one at a time with the desired amount of thread. That way I don't have to worry about forgetting which end of the thread to put through the eye. Ann in TN

I not only have never heard of this but Ann in TN your idea is brilliant! Putting several needles onto the thread while still on the spool! I so dislike stopping and threading a new needle so I will end up making a long cut and I thought that was why I was getting those sneaky knots!

My busy work in front of the TV in the evening is hand work otherwise I tend to fall asleep! Now I'm making Yo Yo's. My goal is 5000 pastels to make a coverlet for the guest bedroom. I'm nearing 20% completed. Using double thread, nothing more aggravating to be going along and the mystery was always why once in a while... there is that annoying little knot. Now that mystery seems to be solved. I too use the bee's wax thread conditioner.

So thank you so much for all the great tips....I just love this board and the wealth of knowledge that always seems to be shared.

Riversong 01-19-2012 06:25 AM

I run my through a fabric softener sheet...works for me..

indymta 01-19-2012 06:31 AM

I did know about the method if you are right handed and never gave a thought to reversing if you are left handed. Interesting! I will sometimes put several needles onto the thread while still on the spool and then just slide them back as I take them off one at a time with the desired amount of thread. That way I don't have to worry about forgetting which end of the thread to put through the eye. Ann in TN

Thanks for the tip about threading mutiple needles....will try this. It should save time and frustration...it's getting harder to thread a needle (even w/helpers) the older I get!

cbridges22 01-19-2012 06:32 AM

Learn something new everyday.

snow 01-19-2012 06:36 AM

I did not know that. Thanks for telling us.:thumbup: