Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I didn't know it would be so fun! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-didnt-know-would-so-fun-t245337.html)

AngeliaNR 04-17-2014 01:18 PM

I didn't know it would be so fun!

I've been terrified of trying FMQ, but today I sucked it up and put on my quilting foot. I had some sample sandwiches, so I gave it a try. I think I could become addicted to this! :) I need lots of practice, but now I know that given time, I CAN do it.

BrendaK 04-17-2014 01:21 PM

Good for you. I need to purchase a quilting foot and try to do it. My feed dogs don't lower, but I think that if I put something over them it would work. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you do. Have fun. BrendaK

RedGarnet222 04-17-2014 01:21 PM

I am so very glad you have taken the plunge! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to play with the fmq'ing? I just could do it all day and not get tired. If someone had told me it was fun, I would have raised my eyebrows too. But, It is!!

I have been toying with the idea to take one of those fmq'ing classes at craftsy.com . I think it would be really fun to learn the control side of it.

bjchad 04-17-2014 01:24 PM

Just keep on practicing it will get easier all the time. There are a lot of good videos on u-tube that are worth giving a look after you got a little more practice.

Sewnoma 04-17-2014 01:26 PM

Woohoo! It's fun, isn't it? I'm still learning & practicing but once you get started it's hard to stop!

Originally Posted by BrendaK (Post 6680291)
My feed dogs don't lower, but I think that if I put something over them it would work.

Just FYI...I don't drop my feed dogs anymore and my FMQ looks better than ever. I had heard of that tip but ignored it, then one day just forgot to drop the dogs and whaddaya know...better looking stitches. So give it a try with those dogs up, might work out just fine for you!

ManiacQuilter2 04-17-2014 01:30 PM

It isn't hard, sort of like riding a bicycle. Be in tune with you DSM so that at a certain speed, you know how quickly or slowly to move the fabric. You want to duplicate the stitch length that your machine does with the feed dogs up. Practice does make perfect. Be sure to look ahead to where you want the to move the fabric to. Don't look at the needle because you are already there.

QuiltnNan 04-17-2014 01:40 PM

congrats! i was never good at fmq on my domestic machine

Doggramma 04-17-2014 01:44 PM

Congrats! Once you take the plunge, you get hooked. (At least I did. I make tops so I can quilt them)

luckydiver17 04-17-2014 02:16 PM

I just got my new FMQ foot last week. It is really difficult to get the hang of! I can't drop my feed dogs, the manual of my machine says to put a plate over them but my fabric kept catching on it so I took the plate off and set my stitch length to 0. Still difficult but easier than with the plate. I hope I get better fast, it's hard to want to practice when it doesn't look very good :)

luana 04-17-2014 04:54 PM

I'm proud of you! It's never easy to start working on a new skill. It can be very humbling, and it takes a certain amount of courage and character to start. You CAN do this! I know you can! :-)