Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't get it. How do they do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-get-how-do-they-do-t225582.html)

sandy l 07-11-2013 06:57 AM

50 a year? No way. I might get a whole bunch of tops made, but getting them quilted and bound is a whole other thing:)

QuiltnNan 07-11-2013 07:15 AM

when i was a member of my guild but working full time, i did manage to make 1 full-sized quilt per month and sometimes some other small projects. when i retired, though, i decided i just wanted to take my time and enjoy the process and the rest of life :)

Nammie to 7 07-11-2013 07:31 AM

Oh thank goodness, it isn't just me! I was beginning to think I was a real slug when it came to finished quilts. I can piece a quilt quickly but then it takes a while for me to decide on how to quilt it, and then the binding takes several more days. I like to enjoy the process and don't want it to become work. I usually have 5-6 projects I'm actively working on with many more in progress but on the back burner.

Dina 07-11-2013 07:40 AM

I count how many quilts I have made, but only because an experienced quilter told me to do that, as she wished she had done that. She suggested I write on my calendar a running count, which I have done. I enjoy knowing how many quilts I have made, but I never thought of it as a race or contest to see how many I could get done. What fun would that be? I have only been quilting for about 3 years, and every bit of it has been fun! I wouldn't want to change that. (I am in the process of finishing my 60th quilt. Just plain fun. I have learned so much and love it all!!)

Dina

Dina

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-11-2013 07:57 AM

The only way I can see to make so many is to almost make it assembly line style and make several of the same pattern.

While that may be fun for some, I don't care to do that. I've never made the same pattern twice. To me it's like reading a book. Once I've done it, I want to do a different one.

Of course, all those speedy folks are what is keeping the charities alive. We need them because if the charities waited for my pokey self, there would be a LOT of cold people in the world. :)

oh munner 07-11-2013 08:08 AM

Who does their cooking, cleaning, bed making, laundry, grocery shopping, weeding etc. etc. etc?????

mckwilter 07-11-2013 08:36 AM

I had committed to doing 4 quilts for our guild's charity committee, so I purchased a focus fabric with lots of colors and matching solids. Then I did a little math and cut 9-1/2" blocks, and rectangles and squares that when sewn together would equal 9-1/2". So I had 2-rail blocks, 4-rail blocks, 4-patch blocks, and blocks that had 1 rectangle and 2 squares. Then I started sewing blocks into rows, and rows into quilts. I put a pieced border on each quilt, and got all the sewing done in one day. The next day, I spray basted the quilts and used a large stipple to quilt them. Over the next week, I got the binding sewn on and machine stitched them. So, within a week, I had fulfilled my promise. And honestly, I will NEVER do that again. And I didn't have to do them in a weekend, but I knew that if I didn't get them done right away, they would get pushed aside or would never even get started. And if I ever make that kind of promise again, I will just cut 9-1/2" squares and forget about the subcutting.

MadQuilter 07-11-2013 09:33 AM

I am not in a competition when it comes to quilting. Sometimes it takes forever and a day to finish. If someone has the time and the resources to finish that many, then more power to them. A lot depends on the size, pattern, and type of quilting used.

Last weekend I made 2 child-size tops with simple 4-patch and alternating patches. Those tops went together quickly BUT they are hanging on the banister waiting to be sandwiched, quilted, and bound and THAT is going to take a bit longer.

quilt addict 07-11-2013 10:37 AM

I don't know how but appreciate those that will and can. I am lucky if I get a handfull of charity quilts done and need to work on processing tops into quilts. But do what you enjoy. I couldn't afford that much fabric.

lynnie 07-11-2013 10:39 AM

I made 50 in a year, actually 4 months. i'd pc the quilt at home at night and hand quilt it at work the net day,
I was a casket embroider and would put the design on the machine and go quit. the machine did all the work. these quilts were 58" x 70", donated to a hospital for kids