Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't get it. How do they do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-get-how-do-they-do-t225582.html)

paoberle 07-12-2013 04:45 AM

50 quilts in a year is one quilt a week. If the quilts are small and/or very simple it is very possible to do this and. Ore.

ann clare 07-12-2013 04:49 AM

Love this post. Shows how different we all are. I max about 5 quilts a year. Spend too much time here educating myself !!!

Quilting Dreamer 07-12-2013 04:57 AM

Good Morning to you. I have often wondered the same question. Do they require less sleep (more time to quilt) or
! !!!!!!!!!! I just do not get it. Maybe we have other interest that get in the way and side track
us.......none the less you go quilters.
Take care nana-up-north
Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, Mi

J Carol 07-12-2013 05:32 AM

They may be machine quilting and doing everything on the machine.

bearisgray 07-12-2013 05:38 AM

After all is said and done, does it really matter if one is doing this as a hobby/outlet/therapy?

katesnanna 07-12-2013 05:42 AM

Around 8 or 9 years ago one of my quilting buddies said I mass produced quilts. I know I did do quite a few. I've given quilts to charities made them for friends and family and enjoyed making them. I got a commission for a quilt and spent several months collecting fabrics and designing the pattern. All I was told was it needed to be at least 4ft square and made up of lots of small triangles. It was a mammoth task but I truly enjoyed it. The hardest part was deciding how much to charge. I took it to two LQS and both said at least $500.00. As it was for a friend of DH I only asked for $300.00. These days I would value my work more.
These days I find making time for quilting the hardest thing, especially as I now do embroidery as well as make bags and still spend too much time on the computer. I also knit.
Each of us is different but we all enjoy what we do. Whether we make 50 quilts a year or just a few is up to each of us. I've never heard of any rule in quilting which says we must produce a certain amount of work.
If I stopped enjoying all that I do I would sell my machines and sell or donate my stash and all my tools. Until then I'll enjoy what I do and be grateful I can still do it.

Happy Quilting all.

patchwork 07-12-2013 05:56 AM

OK, I am one of those that make 50+ quilts a year. I love the creative process of fabric and making it beautiful when pieced together. People give me their scraps and most of the quilts are simple scrap quilts for the Hospital Palitive care Program. Most are 45x60. I am lucky enough to have an A-1 longarm an am retired. I quilt for others as well. I have never been slow at anything and can do 2 tops a day depending on the pattern. Fabric really gets me going just like others things get you going and you spend all day gardening or some other hobby.

rosiewell 07-12-2013 06:28 AM

they send them out to be quilted, that alone shaves quite a bit of time from making the quilt, I have been quilting steadily for 24 years and I have made 82 quilts, I used to piece and quilt by hand and no rotary cutter, now I don't make large quilts anymore and I machine quilt. I like to do my own quilting which is not as beautiful as some of the quilts I see being done professionally, but I love the process and the satisfaction of seeing the last stitch in.

arenard 07-12-2013 06:58 AM

Enjoy your quilting, whether it's one quilt a year or a zillion. Set your own goals and make them reasonable. I have several quilts I've been working on and off for 3 or 4 years. Then one day will come where all the UFO's are completed within a month and that skews the statistics. Gee, thinking about my UFO's and they are enough to populate a new galaxy. Enjoy working on each project and give yourself credit for progress.

carolynjo 07-12-2013 07:10 AM

I work very slowly so I'm lucky to get one done every 18 months.