Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't know why (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-know-why-t73472.html)

mac 11-01-2010 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by maries
Does anyone use the rotary blade sharpener?

I have used the cheaper one and the one that cost $30+ dollars. It does extend the life of your blade, but it takes time to do each one right. Getting the blades really cheaply on Ebay, as several people have said they did, or getting them from Harbor Freight Tools is a lot less hassle.

lindagor 11-01-2010 03:48 AM

I'm right there with you! I think it's such a hassle to change it, line the screw up just the right way, etc. If only they made a quick release blade system.

thequilteddove 11-01-2010 03:53 AM

If you go on line to try to find Harbor Freight for those blades, do a search for Pack of 2 Carpet Cutter Replacement Blades
once you're on their site :)

Also to extend the life of your blade: wad up a piece of tin foil and roll you blade over it a bunch of times :)

Originally Posted by mac
If you also remember to oil your rotary cutter when your rotary cutter is getting clogged with lint, it will stay sharper longer. I take mine apart often and oil the blade and plastic as soon as see lint built-up around the blade. Just a light film of oil does it, you don't want it to be sloppy with oil.

I hesitate to change my blades because they are so expensive to buy. Nowadays you can sharpen them yourself or you can go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy blades to fit the 45mm rotary cutter for set of blades for just $2.00. So at $1 apiece I change my blades a lot more often.

sheila bee 11-01-2010 06:04 AM

I use mine a long as can...which is really stupid on my part..since i am thinking the whole time..change the blade...the other day my large rotery blade cracked in tooo!!!!! Ever had that happen ????

featherweight 11-01-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by sheila bee
I use mine a long as can...which is really stupid on my part..since i am thinking the whole time..change the blade...the other day my large rotery blade cracked in tooo!!!!! Ever had that happen ????

Wow, You must really press hard!! Hope you didn't get cut.

Baloonatic 11-01-2010 06:41 AM

I've not done it yet, but I heard that if you put TWO nicked blades together into your cutter that it will cut like new again...unless you're lucky enough that the nicks perfectly line up with each other! LOL! Anyone else done this?

sheila bee 11-01-2010 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight

I was lucky did't get cut ....lesson learned ...don't wait so long next time....

Quilting Grandma 11-01-2010 08:14 AM

Has anyone tried the "sharpening" rulers? I have thought about buying one, but hate to buy a "pig-in-a poke".

mac 11-01-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
I've not done it yet, but I heard that if you put TWO nicked blades together into your cutter that it will cut like new again...unless you're lucky enough that the nicks perfectly line up with each other! LOL! Anyone else done this?

The last time I accidentally put in two blades together I kept getting double cuts. There was this thread-like piece that would be left after I cut the fabric. It just seemed so strange, couldn't figure out why I was getting it. Then I saw that there were two blades in the rotary cutter.

mac 11-01-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight

I was lucky did't get cut ....lesson learned ...don't wait so long next time....

I can't imagine how you could break a blade. It must have been really scary to have that happen.

Please remember the old Chef's rule: The duller the knife, the bigger the chance of cutting yourself. The same works with rotary cutters. I always advocate safety first. I've seen and heard of too many accidents with rotary cutters.

One case in point was my friend cut the edge of her thumb and nail off because she was not only pressing too hard, but she got distracted at the same time. Fortunately, although she got a very strange manicure on her thumb nail, she only grazed the thick skin you have on the edge of your thumb and there was very little bleeding. But, I have heard worse stories...