Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-like-spray-baste-how-about-anyone-else-t111772.html)

purplefiend 03-29-2011 07:17 PM

I have asthma, so I don't spray baste. I use curved quilters safety pins to baste my quilts.

Borntohandquilt 03-29-2011 10:32 PM

I prefer thread basting because I don't like hand quilting through a spray basted quilt...to me it seems to be a little stiff and the layers can not shift against each other.
But - like many other things - it is a matter of personal choice!

carolaug 03-30-2011 03:04 AM

I love spray basting...I have had no problems...I lightly spray and it works like a dream...I have no issue with the smelll...I have an open floor plan...and just move my kitchen table and spray it on the floor. I do not even put down newspapers. I do mop when I am done...but never have any problems..I have been using the June Taylor Spray. My husband who would complain if it smelled...does not. its sew much easier than pinning. I hang it up on my wall on till I am ready to FMQ it..and it stays perfect. its very easy to FMQ, no problems with breaking needles or fabric moving.

susanwilley 03-30-2011 03:13 AM

I just started quilting my quilt that I spray basted for the first time ever. I love it!! Will not eeever go back to pin basting. It stays together better than the pins and is so much easier to drag, pull, push through the machine. With pins I was always getting them stuck on the needle thingy. The only problem I had with spray basting was the very edges all around. I think it's because there are so many seams along there it couldn't stick. I have 2 x 4 inch strips as one of the borders. Those areas I did pin. But, I just love that spray!

deedum 03-30-2011 03:30 AM

I totally dislike spray basting! Maybe ok on smaller projects perhaps. I pin, not a fan of that either but the best way for me. I bought a tagger gun to try, but then I read where it doesn't hold the quilt pieces tight enough.

deedum 03-30-2011 03:30 AM

I totally dislike spray basting! Maybe ok on smaller projects perhaps. I pin, not a fan of that either but the best way for me. I bought a tagger gun to try, but then I read where it doesn't hold the quilt pieces tight enough.

oops, double post, sorry

rusty quilter 03-30-2011 03:33 AM

I tired it on smaller projects, but wasn't impressed as the wrinkles came around as I sewed. Went back to pin basting!

moreland 03-30-2011 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
I'm afraid to try it. Have bad asthma!

So do I, but it hasn't stopped me from using spray basting. I do all my quilts that way and love it. Isn't it nice there are multiple ways for us to do things--we can each find the way that suits us best.

Traditional 03-30-2011 04:12 AM

I don,t handle the spray very well. I get instant headache When teaching machine embroidery we would set up a table outside and all go outside to spray.
At home I go to the garage to spray small quilts.

19angel52 03-30-2011 04:35 AM

..never have tried it but after reading posts about it, probably never will. Still use the tried and true pinning layers with large safety pins....regular ones. Those curved ones they sell as quilting pins are hard for me to open & close....regular ones, not so much. Can't wait for the day when I can get a frame/long arm and float the tops....!