Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

I was reading the thread about spray basting...am I the only one that doesn't like to spray baste?? I don't like the smell...or the stickiness...or the fact that you have to have good ventilation to use...so can't use during winter in the north...and the warnings on the can worry me. I don't love pin basting...but that is what I do...only ever spray basted 1 quilt and gave away the can...I think it was the 505.
    I can't imagine basting on a wall...well, in my house there isn't a wall big enough anywhere....older house with broken up rooms, lack of bigger walls. I use tables at friend's houses...who also do not spray baste...one friend is about deathly allergic to the spray...really bad reaction.

Anyone else?

I'm leary about spraying anything in my house. It's impossible to not inhale & it can't be good for you.

I don't spray baste. I do a better job thread basting.

I did one and can't bring myself to make that mess again. I just don't have a good place to do it.

Blog Entries
    I'm afraid to try it. Have bad asthma!

Anti spray anything here!

I love it!!

I love it and spray outdoors. Have only used it on small projects. Don't know if I could do a large quilt.

Blog Entries
    i used to spray baste for my machine embroidery and didn't like it even on those small projects. i'd hate to think of doing a large quilt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i used to spray baste for my machine embroidery and didn't like it even on those small projects. i'd hate to think of doing a large quilt with it.
    Same here. Bad enough on a small piece.

Blog Entries
    I really like it for machine embroidery to help baste fabric on top of the stabilizer.
    I used to use it on quilts, but quickly realized that it promotes more wrinkling than if I don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I love it!!
    Me too!

I like it, actually use 505 and it is safe for indoor use. You only need a light coating, and has to be tacky in order for it to work. It is very easy to pull fabric off and reallign if needed also.

No you are not alone. I am old fashioned and like to pin baste.

i'm anti spray baste too.

i use curved safety pins if i'm not frame quilting

I'm just to cheap! I use curved safety pins and I can use and reuse and keep on using them!

I have never tried it...but here it isn't cheap, and I don't even like using bug spray. I could imagine myself and my furred companions could get in quite a sticky mess with it! I think I will stick to pinning and thread basting.

I don't like it either. I did a full size quilt with spray baste and it was a mess. I've had excellent luck with Sharon Schambers basting method. She has videos on you tube.

Blog Entries
    I thread baste. Nothing moves, I don't get sticked and pins don't snag on stuff. It may take a little more time to thread baste but everything just feels more secure!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't chemicals on my garden much less my quilts!

I have asthma, so I don't spray baste. I use curved quilters safety pins to baste my quilts.

I prefer thread basting because I don't like hand quilting through a spray basted quilt...to me it seems to be a little stiff and the layers can not shift against each other.
    But - like many other things - it is a matter of personal choice!

Blog Entries
    I love spray basting...I have had no problems...I lightly spray and it works like a dream...I have no issue with the smelll...I have an open floor plan...and just move my kitchen table and spray it on the floor. I do not even put down newspapers. I do mop when I am done...but never have any problems..I have been using the June Taylor Spray. My husband who would complain if it smelled...does not. its sew much easier than pinning. I hang it up on my wall on till I am ready to FMQ it..and it stays perfect. its very easy to FMQ, no problems with breaking needles or fabric moving.

I just started quilting my quilt that I spray basted for the first time ever. I love it!! Will not eeever go back to pin basting. It stays together better than the pins and is so much easier to drag, pull, push through the machine. With pins I was always getting them stuck on the needle thingy. The only problem I had with spray basting was the very edges all around. I think it's because there are so many seams along there it couldn't stick. I have 2 x 4 inch strips as one of the borders. Those areas I did pin. But, I just love that spray!

I totally dislike spray basting! Maybe ok on smaller projects perhaps. I pin, not a fan of that either but the best way for me. I bought a tagger gun to try, but then I read where it doesn't hold the quilt pieces tight enough.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast