Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else?? >

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 PM

I would rather my quilt degenerated after decades (will be long gone in a few more decades) than my knees and back get degenerated from crawling around on the floor or bending over tables for hours on end. I don't make quilts for art or show. I want my quilts to be worn out by someone using and loving them to death. Besides, after the quilt is washed a couple of times the spray is washed out.
Originally Posted by Mattee
I wouldn't assume that. It depends on how long you want your quilt to last, but it can take decades for chemicals to alter fabrics.

Originally Posted by Delilah
Originally Posted by milleroch
An experienced and award winning quilter/teacher cautioned me, years ago, about using spray basting. Her reason? We, as yet, have no idea about what it will eventually do to the fabric.
Since the warning was years ago can we assume it's okay to use the spray now that thousands of quilters have been using it for years and have not reported any harm to their quilts?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Did you use Warm and Natural? It is a poly blend.
That's what I was thinking was a possibility. :(

I had purchased a few W&N batts to try them, but I knew I couldn't use them with the basting spray. I remember being very careful (at least with the first few) to only use the 100% cotton ones.

Maybe my brain was off on a side trip and I grabbed one of the W&N's.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM

I never have used the spray basting. I've only used the curved safety pins and handsewing basting.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM

I use the Sulky KK2000 on small quilts and love it. I'm never going back to anything that has to be removed as I sew. There is no odor. The can says it's safe for the planet - no CFC's or HCFC's, and the can is recyclable. It seems much safer than hair spray. I have not used it on a bigger quilt yet. The only drawback is that it breaks down after a few days. That's also a plus, if getting finished with the quilting promptly is not an issue. I have not had problems with puckers or wrinkles in the quilts I've used it on, and the only stickiness is where it belongs. It works fine on W&N. It's a great product, but if it were not for hefty discounts with the store coupons, I'd never have considered it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i'm anti spray baste too.

i use curved safety pins if i'm not frame quilting
me too
Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 AM

A lot of products say that they're safe, or environmentally-friendly, when they may not be. It's a marketing strategy. The spray certainly is much safer than some other products you can buy, but that doesn't mean it does no damage to our environment, particularly if you consider the source of the spray and how it and it's packaging was manufactured and transported. Also, the spray's MSDS sheet says to avoid skin contact and use safety glasses and gloves when using. That doesn't sound harmless to me. The MSDS (http://www.allstitch.net/media/pdf/KK2000_MSDS.pdf) doesn't give the ingredients, but since it's listed as having an "etherical" odor, I assume it contains at least one ether.

And since we're just typing, and you can't hear my tone of voice - I'm not trying to be argumentative or aggressive, just passing information along and providing a different perspective.

Happy basting!

Originally Posted by Rose_P
I use the Sulky KK2000 on small quilts and love it. I'm never going back to anything that has to be removed as I sew. There is no odor. The can says it's safe for the planet - no CFC's or HCFC's, and the can is recyclable. It seems much safer than hair spray. I have not used it on a bigger quilt yet. The only drawback is that it breaks down after a few days. That's also a plus, if getting finished with the quilting promptly is not an issue. I have not had problems with puckers or wrinkles in the quilts I've used it on, and the only stickiness is where it belongs. It works fine on W&N. It's a great product, but if it were not for hefty discounts with the store coupons, I'd never have considered it.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by poygan23
From your area in Wi. I don't like the spray baste although I have used it a few times. An expensive spray as well. I use Aqua Net hairspray on my smaller projects and works pretty well. I also put in a few safey pins along the edges as extra security. Do you know of any good quilt shops in the fox valley area?
I have tried 3 kinds of hairspray and none of them worked. No stickiness at all. What could I be doing wrong? Sounds like it works for quite a few.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM

I don't use anything else I don't have the problem of ordo i spray in the house & it is not a mess .I spray a light & press it down . I don't use any pins. I really like using it . I did hear that most people use too much & that is where the mess comes from..