Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else?? >

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 AM

I use it for the first row across on my quilting machine.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I don't like it either. I did a full size quilt with spray baste and it was a mess. I've had excellent luck with Sharon Schambers basting method. She has videos on you tube.
Thank you ! I watch the video and it is something I will definatly try with my next quilt, pin basting has always giving me grief!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 AM

I think I'm done with spray - I'll go back to my safety pins and tagging gun. It's more work initially, but they've never caused such blood, sweat and tears at the sewing machine as the spray.

And I was a real convert to the ease of spray basting - I basted six medium-to-queen-sized quilts in a day, a couple of months ago. I mean I really LOVED the stuff!!! :)

I pulled one of the quilts out and got the machine set up for quilting recently - did a practice sandwich and I was all ready to go. Started trying to quilt it the next day and all I could get was skipped stitches. :(

I tried changing the needle, the bobbin, the bobbin tension, the needle thread tension, the foot, the pressure on the presser foot, the needle thread... round and round and round with changes and always the same thing - beautiful stitches on the practice piece, skipped stitches and ruined designs on the quilt.

I noticed that the batt was very sticky. Did I possibly use one of the 80/20 blend batts instead of the all-cotton? Is 20% poly enough poly to react with the spray? The only time I've ever had the spray stay sticky was when I used minkee for the backing.

I notice that the needle is sticky... just like it was with the minkee debacle.... great. :?

Get another quilt out of the stack and that goes fine at first - but it's a vintage quilt top of a real scrappy type - an apple core. Even the patches are pieced and they are of every fabric under the sun... pique, challis, cotton feedsack, sateen, rayon, even wool.

And some of the patches refuse to be quilted - lots of skipped stitches in those patches. I did get the quilt done, but don't look too closely.

I still have a vintage tumbler, a jewel box, a repro wild goose chase and a Dresden plate that I basted with the spray. I hope that I did not put anything but cotton batts in any of those, and that there is no poly or rayon fabric hiding in any of them.

I tried ironing the sticky quilt to see if that would make it un-sticky, but it didn't do any good. I will need to take it apart and put a clean batt in there and hope that will work to make it quiltable.

I wish I had kept little notes on the quilts while I basted them, because I don't know if it was June Tailor or 505 spray that stayed sticky. :(
Old 03-31-2011, 08:52 AM

Did you use Warm and Natural? It is a poly blend.

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I think I'm done with spray - I'll go back to my safety pins and tagging gun. It's more work initially, but they've never caused such blood, sweat and tears at the sewing machine as the spray.

And I was a real convert to the ease of spray basting - I basted six medium-to-queen-sized quilts in a day, a couple of months ago. I mean I really LOVED the stuff!!! :)

I pulled one of the quilts out and got the machine set up for quilting recently - did a practice sandwich and I was all ready to go. Started trying to quilt it the next day and all I could get was skipped stitches. :(

I tried changing the needle, the bobbin, the bobbin tension, the needle thread tension, the foot, the pressure on the presser foot, the needle thread... round and round and round with changes and always the same thing - beautiful stitches on the practice piece, skipped stitches and ruined designs on the quilt.

I noticed that the batt was very sticky. Did I possibly use one of the 80/20 blend batts instead of the all-cotton? Is 20% poly enough poly to react with the spray? The only time I've ever had the spray stay sticky was when I used minkee for the backing.

I notice that the needle is sticky... just like it was with the minkee debacle.... great. :?

Get another quilt out of the stack and that goes fine at first - but it's a vintage quilt top of a real scrappy type - an apple core. Even the patches are pieced and they are of every fabric under the sun... pique, challis, cotton feedsack, sateen, rayon, even wool.

And some of the patches refuse to be quilted - lots of skipped stitches in those patches. I did get the quilt done, but don't look too closely.

I still have a vintage tumbler, a jewel box, a repro wild goose chase and a Dresden plate that I basted with the spray. I hope that I did not put anything but cotton batts in any of those, and that there is no poly or rayon fabric hiding in any of them.

I tried ironing the sticky quilt to see if that would make it un-sticky, but it didn't do any good. I will need to take it apart and put a clean batt in there and hope that will work to make it quiltable.

I wish I had kept little notes on the quilts while I basted them, because I don't know if it was June Tailor or 505 spray that stayed sticky. :(
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM

I love the spray I use the Dritz and it is odorless
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

i love it and try to spray outside if i have to spray inside i do it when i can open all my windows and have a cross breeze going thru
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I'm leary about spraying anything in my house. It's impossible to not inhale & it can't be good for you.
I use spray base and if I can't do it outside on a newspaper covered table, then I spray in the garage using a large piece of card board. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Wow...lots of replies to this one...lots of non sprayers...and also sprayers...sounds like most of us either love it, or will not do it, not much in-between...thanks for all the input, and glad that I am not the only one that doesn't spray baste...besides all the other reasons...the spray baste is expensive...so I can spend that much more money on fabric!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by milleroch
An experienced and award winning quilter/teacher cautioned me, years ago, about using spray basting. Her reason? We, as yet, have no idea about what it will eventually do to the fabric.
Since the warning was years ago can we assume it's okay to use the spray now that thousands of quilters have been using it for years and have not reported any harm to their quilts?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM

I wouldn't assume that. It depends on how long you want your quilt to last, but it can take decades for chemicals to alter fabrics.

Originally Posted by Delilah
Originally Posted by milleroch
An experienced and award winning quilter/teacher cautioned me, years ago, about using spray basting. Her reason? We, as yet, have no idea about what it will eventually do to the fabric.
Since the warning was years ago can we assume it's okay to use the spray now that thousands of quilters have been using it for years and have not reported any harm to their quilts?