Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't mean to offend, but..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-mean-offend-but-t76746.html)

BrendaB 11-18-2010 11:58 PM

I can't speak for everyone, but I love a cotton purse. I used to buy Vera Bradley when I lived in Seattle. The people who make the Bow-Tucks and offer them for sale have a wider range of fabrics, so more choices for me. I haven't made any, but I have bought several. The ones I purchased here are so beautifully made and I think it is just more special that it was hand made and I know the "artist." The price is comparable to or less than the VB bags I used to buy and these are so much prettier. That's why I'm excited about them. I hope that helps. Oh, and the pockets - THE POCKETS - they are wonderful. Never had a bag with such convenience inside. :-) BTW, I'm never offended by a question. Your question made me think about just why I do like them so much - besides the fact that I didn't make my own. I would never get to it. LOL

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
Please explain to me why people are so excited about bow tuck bags.....I just don't see the attraction. Perhaps it's just me and I haven't found the right color combination yet. I'm glad you guys have found something you are so thrilled with sewing, I'll just stick with the quilts I guess.

annette1952 11-19-2010 01:34 AM

I love the Bow Tuck Tote. I have seen some that the fabric maybe wasn't for me but it was for the person who made it & that is what is important. I am one that carries a purse though too. Everthing of course isn't for everyone. Thank goodness for that because if we didn't have a variety of tastes it would be a boring world! LOL

plainpat 11-19-2010 01:41 AM

What's not to like? Your purse is very nice & looks like you did a great job on it.

Originally Posted by Debbie B

Originally Posted by nevrn
Please excuse my ignorance, but just what is a bow tuck bag?

Here's a picture of one of mine...

plainpat 11-19-2010 01:54 AM

Is there a pic of the x bag? Where do you get the pattern?

Originally Posted by jdavis
I don't mean to offend, either, but I don't see the attraction either. I do anjoy seeing what fabrics people put together, though.
On the other hand, the X-bag has worked out so well for me, I think I've made 5 of them over the last couple of years. I made them seasonal. I've worn two of them out.

This board could almost use a section devoted to bags!

Olivia's Grammy 11-19-2010 05:59 AM

Aren't we glad that not everyone likes the same thing. I am not offended that you don't like the Bow Tucks purse. I like it and made one. I like all the inside pockets and I like a soft purse. I made mine with Laurel Burch cat fabric and I get complenments all the time. I'm going to make another one with black and white fabrics.

JAGSD 11-19-2010 06:39 AM

Okay, Though I am not much of a pursey person I am curious what size purse is the Mini Bow Tuck? I have been intrigued..

CarrieAnne 11-19-2010 07:04 AM

I like that you can make them with any fabric you want.

GrannieAnnie 11-19-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Living the Dream
I love everyone's purses and I always look at the purse posts first. When you think about it, a million people buy Vera Bradley purses but Vera's fabrics are not always pretty and the bags are pricey. I love the idea of making quilted purses with my pretty fabric at a cost that's less than 1/4 of Vera's. So if you love quilted purses -- especially quilted purses that are lined with pockets -- the Bow Tucks purse is the place to start. I have modified the pattern, figured out a way to make construction easier, changed the size, added magnetic snaps, left off the ties, added embellishments, and have included a zipped lining. You can make all kinds of changes once you know how to assemble a purse. True, you don't need this particular pattern as a starting point, but that's where I started after being inspired by all the posts here.

I have in the past bought a bit of very nice fabric on sale and made a purse that would rival a Vera Bradley for as little as $2 plus scraps from my stash.

lass 11-19-2010 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
Please explain to me why people are so excited about bow tuck bags.....I just don't see the attraction. Perhaps it's just me and I haven't found the right color combination yet. I'm glad you guys have found something you are so thrilled with sewing, I'll just stick with the quilts I guess.

I bought one about 4 years ago because the size was right, the pockets were perfect. It is still my favorite purse.

julia58 11-19-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
Okay, Though I am not much of a pursey person I am curious what size purse is the Mini Bow Tuck? I have been intrigued..

The mini bow tuck is approx. 11"x10"x5"deep
The large is approx. 13"x11"x5"deep