Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't want my fabric fraying in wash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-want-my-fabric-fraying-wash-t118435.html)

Maia B 04-24-2011 08:09 AM

I always get some fraying and thread boogers, which I HATE. Recently washed a set of Moda Civil War repro fabrics that had a lovely hand before washing. Not a speck on my color catcher, so it was a waste of time, and I spent an hour cutting the thread tangles iff before drying. I still have to iron them. Back to NOT prewashing for me!

quilting cat 04-24-2011 01:24 PM

zig-zag ends with the longest stitch you have

pjemark 04-24-2011 01:55 PM

i totally agree with that. I bought several yards of LQS fabric to make curtains with. I wanted to do everything right so I washed and what a mess. I think it took me longer to trim the loose threads and iron the wadded up stuff then it did to make the curtains! :?

ube quilting 04-24-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Trimming the ends with pinking shears usually works pretty well. I have a serger so I serge mine.

Get pinking shears and trim each cut edge before washing. This will also help identify washed fabric in your stash from un-washed. I always wash fabric before it goes in my stash. This also indicates wether I want to use the fabric or not, if it doesn't wash well enough, I save it for projects that don't need the best.

maryb119 04-24-2011 04:04 PM

I zig zag or serge the cut edges. I don't like the mess of the strings in the washer or dryer.

4dogs 04-24-2011 04:39 PM

If you wash you fabric when it comes to your house...doesnt that remove the insecticides that keep bugs from eathing on it? I have a lot of fabric and I have kinda worried about that...........

quilter1943 04-24-2011 06:09 PM

For smaller pieces - up to a couple of yards, I put in mesh bag to wash. There is very little ravelling.

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I have a small inexpensive mesh laundry bag that I use to wash smaller pieces in. Dollar store sells them in packs of 3. DogHouseMom is correct. Better quality fabrics will only have a minimum amount of fray.

janjanq 04-25-2011 02:48 AM

I haven't tried this but yet but I've heard of people using a zig-zag blade on their rotary cutter.

kuntryquilter 04-25-2011 02:54 AM

I serge the raw edges of my fabric before washing. Sure solves my problems.

bizybess 04-25-2011 03:23 AM

There's insecticide on new fabrics?!? If this is true, do you really want to be handling it while you make a quilt? I wash everything I bring in the house. Most of the time I serge but sometimes I'm in too big of a hurry and then I pull off threads before putting in dryer and then there's not too much when it comes out of the dryer. If I don't pull off threads and fluff a little coming out of the washing machine it's a terrible mess coming out of dryer.