Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't want my fabric fraying in wash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-want-my-fabric-fraying-wash-t118435.html)

FWDesigns 04-25-2011 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq
I haven't tried this but yet but I've heard of people using a zig-zag blade on their rotary cutter.

I've been thinking about trying this too. Has anyone here used those rotary zig zag blades for pre-wash cuts?

watterstide 04-25-2011 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
I always get some fraying and thread boogers, which I HATE. Recently washed a set of Moda Civil War repro fabrics that had a lovely hand before washing. Not a speck on my color catcher, so it was a waste of time, and I spent an hour cutting the thread tangles iff before drying. I still have to iron them. Back to NOT prewashing for me!

i am with you..unless it is a red or black..no pre washing for me either. WHEN i did, it went in a pillow case, and i pinned it shut.on gentle cycle. still frayed though.

cowpie2 04-25-2011 04:21 AM

I've started using my serger on the cut ends before I prewash. Saves a lot of mess from frayed edges. Zigzag on a regular machine work probably work just as well.

pieces 04-25-2011 04:24 AM

I machine stitch the ends of my fabric before I wash.
I also set my washer on the handwash cycle.
I have very little fraying. The cheaper the fabric the more fraying you wil have because it will be a looser weave fabric.
The ends of the fabric have to be trimmed/straightened when you start cutting anyway so a little fraying isn't a problem.

QuiltNama 04-25-2011 04:34 AM

Pinking shears, zig zag the edges or serge all cut edges works
for me. My grandmother turned a very tiny hem and straight stitched it down before she washed.
Brenda

juliea9967 04-25-2011 04:45 AM

I always cut about a 1/4" off of each side with my wave rotary cutter and it keeps fraying to a minimum.

illinois 04-25-2011 05:05 AM

Eons ago when I learned to sew, 4-H recommended folding the fabric as it comes off the bolt and use the longest machine stitch across both ends. It keeps the ends from fraying and easily removed. Of course, that was in the day when we pulled a thread to straighten the fabric, too!

sblancarte 04-25-2011 05:06 AM

sew the cut ends together with a basting stitch--this really works well for long pieces of fabric because the fabric doesn't get twisted

MelodyWB 04-25-2011 05:09 AM

I seldom pre wash..but when I do..I hand wash fabric!!

kaykwilts 04-25-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
Eons ago when I learned to sew, 4-H recommended folding the fabric as it comes off the bolt and use the longest machine stitch across both ends. It keeps the ends from fraying and easily removed. Of course, that was in the day when we pulled a thread to straighten the fabric, too!

oh...you mean pulling a thread to straighten the fabric has gone the way of the dinosaur???? :shock: :shock:

I guess I didn't know we didn't need to do that anymore. :oops:

If I have a fabric that I just can't eyeball the straight of the grain, I still pull a thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do all sorts of different things with my fabric...some I serge, some I wash and then clip frays....some I just use without washing...no rhythm or reason to my madness... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: