Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I found a different mid arm quilting system while surfing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-found-different-mid-arm-quilting-system-while-surfing-t172749.html)

Doreen 12-21-2011 08:21 PM

I would be a little weary. Need more research.

Rose L 12-22-2011 01:23 AM

It's interesting and it's certainly affordable with machine, frame and bobbin winder all inclusive in the price.

Here's what bothers me about it:
No way would I buy this simply because of the drop in bobbin. Way to much hassel to try to change a bobbin and believe me there are a lot of bobbin changes in one quilt!! Wonder what size bobbin it uses anyway?
Velcro strips for holding the poles in place, though I haven't tried it I just feel iffy about it. Are they replaceable when they get all clogged up with thread and batting fluff?
I didn't understand how to adjust the height of the take up roller, maybe a video would be better than a picture?
No stitch regulator and I don't get the torque thing really but would like to see how it works. Again, maybe a video would be better than a picture? It's tough learning with a stitch regulator I can't imagine learning without one.
I don't see any kind of clamps or anything to hold down a paper pantograph but maybe a sheet of weighty clear vinyl laid over the paper would do the trick??
It doesn't say what the track and wheels are made of and that is crucial IMHO. Metal wheels? Plastic track?
Is there any way to add a Q-bot or PC Quilter to this machine if desired?
The light looks nice and bright but they don't have replacements for it and you have to go find your own.
The frame could probably not be shipped. It doesn't appear that it could be taken down and stored either, or moved to a new location unless you had a large U-Haul or something.

What I like:
The thread holder placement on top of the machine.
I'm really interested in the end clamps and will call to see if they will sell them separately.
I like the simple table set up but I think it needs a more polished look since a lot of us have ours in the LR or DR of our homes. Wonder if it comes painted or if it's unfinished? It would be nice also if you could custom order the height of the legs to get the correct height table for your self.

I can see changes that will be needed in the future but I think this looks overall like a pretty good set up. As it is, I think the machine is better suited to be used as a sit down model because of the drop in bobbin situation. I would love to get a closer look at it! AND take it for a drive!

An Arm Long 12-22-2011 01:25 PM

I agree that this price is great and from the website, it looks like the developer is a very experienced quilter. I applaud her for trying to provide a reasonably priced setup, but.....

I don't like buying something that is so new. Usually this type of equipment goes through some improvements in its first few years. Perhaps if there was more info from users and more info on the history of the machine. It sounds really new.

Also I would be concerned about the velcro on the rail. I wonder if it really holds well. Also how sturdy is the frame. When I bought mine, I went to a quilt show and tested every machine and frame. I literally walked up and grabbed hold of the frame and tried to shake it!

On the other hand, the price is good and it could be a learning machine and frame. The cost of the Gamills, Noltings, etc. are not for a beginner. If you want to really quilt alot on it and it looks like you will continue for years, you could upgrade later. I have read posts of quilters who have more than one machine and frame setup who have graduated from one to the other.

mshollysd 12-23-2011 04:55 AM

You know what I liked about this site. It is an alternative to the high priced long arm and even though it isn't as professional as some sites, it is a start. before I got on this board, I had never heard of stretching machines. I currently have a juki 2010 and mini pini frame and I love it. Would love to have more "stretch" but I am satisfied with what I have spent and I use. Anyone who thinks of new ways to help quilters is "A-OK" in my book.

maryp 12-23-2011 05:52 AM

It looks good to me

pocoellie 12-23-2011 06:04 AM

This looks like it would work well for the price. If I was closer I would definitely give it a test drive. I do have a couple of concerns though of the drop in bobbin, although if the frame is big enough for you to have a king sized quilt on there and be able to move the machine to a cleared space, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The other concern is the brand of the machine, it does look like a Singer and while I don't have anything against old ones, I wouldn't buy a new one and if this is a Singer, it must be a newer one, since it has the drop in bobbins.

cheryl222 12-23-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by An Arm Long (Post 4803526)

Also I would be concerned about the velcro on the rail. I wonder if it really holds well. Also how sturdy is the frame. When I bought mine, I went to a quilt show and tested every machine and frame. I literally walked up and grabbed hold of the frame and tried to shake it!

I put velcro on my metal rails 3 years ago and it holds perfectly. No problems, staying on tight.

Candace 12-23-2011 08:38 AM

O.K. this is a rant about ebay or at least one policy ebay has. I'm kind of p*ssed. I bid on a listing for a vintage, Singer card table for my 401. It only had 1 day left and I was the lead bidder. I was really looking forward to having this table. I was notified that the auction was pulled by the seller as the "item is no longer available". Which is code for he sold it locally I assume. This makes me really mad. There should be some negative consequences to the seller for doing this. Some kind of ding to his feedback or at least the ability for me to give some sort or response or feedback about it! Nope...so he can have me hanging on for 3 or 4 days, and my bid is permanent, but he can go and yank the auction if he gets a local buyer. This doesn't seem right to me and I think it stinks:<

BellaBoo 12-23-2011 08:59 AM

Is it just me to think all LA systems are really ugly pieces of equipment? It's like an ironing board, you have to have one but it sure is an eyesore to see set up in a room. I like pretty and that is one factor that will influence me when deciding which item to buy over the other when possible.

Debra Mc 12-23-2011 09:08 AM

I looked at it. Not sure about the workings but looks good for the price. She lives in the same area as my parents. They have the same phone prefix.