Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I had a AH HA moment today and I wanted to share it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-had-ah-ha-moment-today-i-wanted-share-t42759.html)

IrishNY 04-16-2010 06:40 PM

Thank you so much!

lazyquilter 04-16-2010 06:49 PM

I think you can see where the.. what I call, my talking board, has the two panels that bend or fold forward. It can then sit alone, or you use something to attach it to a wall if you don't need a big area, or you can place a round with the blocks, not using the pins as I have, and close the two pieces and everything is left right where it is. I just wouldn't pick it up and walk away with it as you could lose your work all over the floor.. not that YOU would, but I have been known to have a slippsy or two... especially when sewing blocks together and you have a stunning perfect 9 patch, seams are perfect, measures to the exact deminsion and then you notice that the block in the middle of the nine patch is facing the wrong way. But only after you have already sewn most of the quilt together.. Ahhh, makes me want to take up drinking. But that's to much of a waste of good fabric money.

All Thumbs 04-16-2010 07:01 PM

Thank you for such a wonderful idea. My stageing board (for lack of a better word) is merely a plastic picnic tablecloth, cut in half and hung over the door to sewing room with the back side exposed, which is that clingy fabric. The blocks stay nicely upon it but I cannot take it down and store like you have when needed. I certainly will check out WalMart next time we're in town. I am pleased to know that you enjoy quilting since you are unable to attend a lot of guilds and the like. Quilting does make a day go fast and the accomplishments are so rewarding. May I send you a personal message?

barbgooch 04-16-2010 07:09 PM

I just went online to Staples. They call them presentation boards or display boards. Staples has several kinds - foam core or corrugated plastic, all tri fold, but open up to 36x48.They come in black or white and are about $14. Cover with flannel and you've got a great portable design wall like the picture blue showed.

lazyquilter 04-16-2010 07:52 PM

I would be very pleased to receive a Pm from you. :)

KathyKat 04-17-2010 06:29 AM

What a great idea! I'm using one half of my family room for sewing right now and use the carpeted floor to lay out my blocks. But I can't leave them there long because my furry sewing assistant likes to come over and rearrange them to his liking. This folding presentation board is the perfect solution and I'm going looking for one today! Thank you for sharing.
P.S. I love the fabrics on your board in the photo. That is going to be a beautiful quilt!

lazyquilter 04-17-2010 09:38 AM

thank you.... I am hoping that aftdrr it comes together, it will be the baby quilt that I wanted that would grow for a very pretty baby girl. So it should end up a nice lap size. Don't know if you could see the fabrics at the bottom. I always lay various fabrics along the way to see which one is going to grab me by my throat and scream ME! ME! for the borders. It looks like the green with the polka dots will be the narrow border and there is a floral pink with very soft shades and green leaves in it for the secondard border. Then I have the cream colored ruffle for the last border. I may probably drop the seond border and just use the green dot and the ruffle.. not sure yet. I do have a really stunning color for the backing. And I will be printing out a small montage of baby pictures for the back of the quilt, including the photo of her Grand pop holding her for the first time. (My sweet man) so wish me luck. As I am the reigning queen of take aparts, I am sure that the extra fabrics that I always buy will be well used..

luvt2sing 04-17-2010 10:01 AM

All thumbs, I love your avatar! What is it called?

dlf0122quilting 04-17-2010 12:12 PM

I have taken one of the old cardboard like table mats that fold up and used that in the same way. Sometimes you can find them in a thrift shop for about $1. I have glued batting to it and I can keep it under the bed in the spare room when I don't need it. I also have a design wall but I usually have several projects going at the same time so it is nice to have the backup. Good idea on your board. I had always seen them used for kids science projects but never thought of using them for quilting.

ProudGranny5 04-17-2010 02:31 PM

Blue
Thanks so very much for your tip. Next Wal-Mart trip, I am going to check it out. When you said you got black; my first thought was 'how do you see fabric that well?'
Then after seeing the picture you posted, it's a winner in my book. Thanks so much for sharing.
Don't feel alone...welcome to the board. I don't have any close friends that even quilt...much less friends. LOL Like my daughter told me... she and her hubby lost most when their twins came along, but children are special. Some childless couples don't want to be around couples with children. Likewise, with me, where I live, is older people and they don't want to be bothered with grandkids. Mine are at the top of my list.
This site..I consider my bestest friends ever; espically the ones that I have really talked with. Enough said.