Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a confession... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-confession-t190380.html)

tngal22 05-30-2012 09:52 AM

I have a confession...

First I love my new (to me) Janome DC2011 but my confession is that even though it has a thread cutter, I still use my scissors. Hubby thinks I am crazy but I am so used to grabbing them that it is hard to break it. It took me a while to get used to the needle up/down feature as I was used to having to move the wheel to move the needle. BTW, I love that feature and I LOVE, yes must be caps, the 1/4" foot! How did I live without it?

Ok, that is all I have to confess, back to sewing!

momjoy6 05-30-2012 10:00 AM

I agree on the needle up/down feature and the 1/4" foot but I DO use my thread cutter almost all the time. It won't take you long to get used to it. Congrats on your new purchase.

bearisgray 05-30-2012 10:04 AM

Glad you are enjoying your new machine. :D

QuiltnLady1 05-30-2012 10:05 AM

Congrats on your new purchase. When I got my Janome, I did not think the needle up/down an threadcutter were a big deal. After being spoiled for a while I had to buy the 3160 to take to classes because I was going nuts without them at class. I wish there was a way to get the knee lift on a lightweight since I am also addicted to it as well.

tngal22 05-30-2012 10:08 AM

I still find myself reaching for the wheel to move the needle when I am done with a stitch. I just love that it is up or down when I need it to be. I should try to use the thread cutter more I guess, but my scrissors will feel lonely. lol

bisbetica 05-30-2012 10:18 AM

I have never used a thread cutter! I have an ingrained habit of using snips instead. Now, a needle threader is a great invention and I use that all of the time. The needle down feature is also a very good thing.

franc36 05-30-2012 10:21 AM

I love the needle up and down. When I sew on a machine without that feature, I realize how much I depends on it. I also love the 1/4 inch foot; but I almost never use the thread cutter by the needle. I grab the scissors. I do use the bobbin winder thread cutter. Aren't new machines wonderful!

DogHouseMom 05-30-2012 11:33 AM

I bought my Janome 6600 specifically for the needle up/down. I thought the thread cutter was neat, and at first I kept forgetting to use it but now I use it constantly - sometimes when I shouldn't (when quilting and what I really wanted to do was pull the thread to the top so I could bury it!!).

There are some features that I don't ... and probably won't use ... knee lift and needle threader. Oh, I never use the start button when piecing, but sometimes I do for quilting.

tngal22 05-30-2012 11:45 AM

I didn't even know it had the thread cutter for the first few days. lol And I just learned about the drop feed dog option on it. lol I don't use the needle threader either, I can do it faster it seems.

I am glad I am not the only one that still uses scissors or snip instead of the thread cutter.

jodimarie 05-30-2012 12:43 PM

I sew/quilt with my Brother 1500 and HATE the thread cutter!!!! I like to pull out a nice long thread tail and then cut it off....when I use the thread cutter feature, it would cut the tails so short, that the thread always pulled out of the needle and I had to re-thread. figured the 2-3 inches of ''wasted'' thread was so much better than the frustation I felt every time I used the thread cutter and had to stop and re-thread. LOVE the needle up/down function and LOVELOVELOVE the entire machine...she sews as good as the day I brought her home almost 10 years ago!!!!!