Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I have a confession...

I have a confession...

First I love my new (to me) Janome DC2011 but my confession is that even though it has a thread cutter, I still use my scissors. Hubby thinks I am crazy but I am so used to grabbing them that it is hard to break it. It took me a while to get used to the needle up/down feature as I was used to having to move the wheel to move the needle. BTW, I love that feature and I LOVE, yes must be caps, the 1/4" foot! How did I live without it?

Ok, that is all I have to confess, back to sewing!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I agree on the needle up/down feature and the 1/4" foot but I DO use my thread cutter almost all the time. It won't take you long to get used to it. Congrats on your new purchase.

Power Poster
    Glad you are enjoying your new machine.

Congrats on your new purchase. When I got my Janome, I did not think the needle up/down an threadcutter were a big deal. After being spoiled for a while I had to buy the 3160 to take to classes because I was going nuts without them at class. I wish there was a way to get the knee lift on a lightweight since I am also addicted to it as well.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I still find myself reaching for the wheel to move the needle when I am done with a stitch. I just love that it is up or down when I need it to be. I should try to use the thread cutter more I guess, but my scrissors will feel lonely. lol
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew

I have never used a thread cutter! I have an ingrained habit of using snips instead. Now, a needle threader is a great invention and I use that all of the time. The needle down feature is also a very good thing.
    Denise
    It's not a stash, it's a fabricology research center

I love the needle up and down. When I sew on a machine without that feature, I realize how much I depends on it. I also love the 1/4 inch foot; but I almost never use the thread cutter by the needle. I grab the scissors. I do use the bobbin winder thread cutter. Aren't new machines wonderful!

I bought my Janome 6600 specifically for the needle up/down. I thought the thread cutter was neat, and at first I kept forgetting to use it but now I use it constantly - sometimes when I shouldn't (when quilting and what I really wanted to do was pull the thread to the top so I could bury it!!).

There are some features that I don't ... and probably won't use ... knee lift and needle threader. Oh, I never use the start button when piecing, but sometimes I do for quilting.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I didn't even know it had the thread cutter for the first few days. lol And I just learned about the drop feed dog option on it. lol I don't use the needle threader either, I can do it faster it seems.

I am glad I am not the only one that still uses scissors or snip instead of the thread cutter.
    Sabrina

I sew/quilt with my Brother 1500 and HATE the thread cutter!!!! I like to pull out a nice long thread tail and then cut it off....when I use the thread cutter feature, it would cut the tails so short, that the thread always pulled out of the needle and I had to re-thread. figured the 2-3 inches of ''wasted'' thread was so much better than the frustation I felt every time I used the thread cutter and had to stop and re-thread. LOVE the needle up/down function and LOVELOVELOVE the entire machine...she sews as good as the day I brought her home almost 10 years ago!!!!!

It is OK you will get use to it, and you can use what ever works best for you! Enjoy your new machine!!!!

i love all those features, but I must say my favorite feature on mine has to be the auto- threader!....
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
    I sew/quilt with my Brother 1500 and HATE the thread cutter!!!! I like to pull out a nice long thread tail and then cut it off....when I use the thread cutter feature, it would cut the tails so short, that the thread always pulled out of the needle and I had to re-thread. figured the 2-3 inches of ''wasted'' thread was so much better than the frustation I felt every time I used the thread cutter and had to stop and re-thread. LOVE the needle up/down function and LOVELOVELOVE the entire machine...she sews as good as the day I brought her home almost 10 years ago!!!!!
    I had the same problem with my Babylock Serenade: the thread pulled out of the needle, and sometimes out of the previous two guides and disappeared into the body of the machine! I found out the thread cutter doesn't work well with all kinds of thread. Try Guttermann or Mettler thread. Mine works great every time with those threads. I think it is also ok with Essentials thread by Connecting Threads, and Aurifil thread.

I also have the Janome Memory Craft 6600, love it, love it, love it. I really like the needle down feature, the knee attachment, the built in walking foot, the qarter inch foot, and the needle threader. Must admit I don't use the thread cutter as I also like a longer tail on my threads.

I was like you when I first got my Janome 6600. I 'made' myself start using it once, and now I am addicted! Plus....it saves a LOT of thread! Who knew!!!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

My Brother 400 had it's first problem this morning, after ten years of absolutely trouble free stitching. The thread got stuck in the tension guide somewhere. I haven't had time to get it free yet, but will after work tonight. The machine has needle up/down, knee lift, automatic thread and cutter, gobs of fancy stitches but no embroidery. Other than the PR600, it's the best purchase I've made in years.

I love ALL the features...needle threader, automatic up/down, cutter, 1/4 inch foot and I could go on and on. LOL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by momjoy6 View Post
    I agree on the needle up/down feature and the 1/4" foot but I DO use my thread cutter almost all the time. It won't take you long to get used to it. Congrats on your new purchase.
    Ditto for me. With my new machine I rarely used the thread cutter then someone enc. me to start using it. Now I don't know how I did without it!

I love the thread cutter and try to use it on my other machines However, I'll confess I don't used the needle threader. I find it quicker and easier to do myself!
    Heather

On my 6600, i don't care for the needle threader that much, but i love it on the 11000. The auto thread cutter i LOVE. If i want a longer thread for burying, i just pull the fabric out a ways and then push the button. Since i usually pull the bottom thread up when starting sewing, its not a problem with it getting stuck. But i keep trying to use it on my FW! Thats when i really miss it!! Ha ha vintage is nice, but I do love the bells and whistles on the new ones!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;