Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confession--I'm Being Tempted by a Bad Idea! >

Confession--I'm Being Tempted by a Bad Idea!

Confession--I'm Being Tempted by a Bad Idea!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 AM

I'm working on a baby quilt for my college roommate's little girl. (I love saying college roommate--unless I clarify that college was 2 decades ago!) Anyway, I tried some stitch-in-the-ditch for the first time, and kind of enjoyed doing it. However, sometimes I kind of missed the white ditch with my white thread and landed on the hot pink mottled fabric. Here's the temptation - I'm considering grabbing a couple of pink permanent markers and turning that white thread to pink!

I probably won't do it, cuz I know it's probably a really bad and really lazy idea. Has anyone else ever been tempted by really bad and really lazy ideas? :oops:
Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 AM

Yes! And I've even acted on them a few times.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 AM

When I had my embroidery business we did this all the time. Sometimes when you don't get the tension right, the bobbin thread shows on the top and we just took fabric pens and touched them up and nobody was the wiser.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 AM

Toooooo funny! I have done the same thing!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

it's not such a bad idea- as long as you use a permenent ink marker- people use markers to highlight- and change things on quilts all the time-
if the white thread showing bothers you go ahead and (paint it)
one thing though- i have found most of the time when the sid is not quite right---once the quilt is washed and dried you don't see that anyway-
but the marker idea is not being lazy- or a bad idea- it is a 'normal' fix by many quilters.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by echoemb
When I had my embroidery business we did this all the time. Sometimes when you don't get the tension right, the bobbin thread shows on the top and we just took fabric pens and touched them up and nobody was the wiser.
Yay! I'm so glad I'm not alone!

It's been this guilty little temptation teasing me all weekend! I don't think I even mentioned it to my sister-in-law, who I share a sewing room with. Maybe I'll give it a try on one of the smaller spots!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 AM

I never correct these kinds of things, when it's washed and dried no one ever notices anyway. Of course I guess none of my quilts would win any prizes but that's okay too, no one has ever brought one back and said they didn't like it...LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Nothing wrong with that! Go for it. I have even read about ideas like that in quilt books.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 AM

Been there, done that.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Christine27
Originally Posted by echoemb
Yay! I'm so glad I'm not alone!

It's been this guilty little temptation teasing me all weekend! I don't think I even mentioned it to my sister-in-law, who I share a sewing room with. Maybe I'll give it a try on one of the smaller spots!
Walk away from it for a few days, then lay the quilt on your bed, and see if it's really all that noticeable? or not?

One caution .... if the marker is a different colour, or your hand not totally steadym it may look worse after than before.

If you decided to go the marker route, perhaps make a mug rug with the same fabrics, batting and quilting to test your marker technique first before you go for the real thing. Be sure to heat set it .... and even go the distance and toss it in the washer. Maybe even do that with the mug rug before you try the marker, and you'll see if what the others are suggesting changes your thoughts.