Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have finally tried Mary Ellen's Best Press - Love it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-finally-tried-mary-ellens-best-press-love-t236575.html)

carolynjo 12-14-2013 09:00 AM

I would guess that some folks who have to watch every penny balk at purchasing it because it means fabric can't be purchased.

feffertim 12-14-2013 09:03 AM

I use this exclusively. Love it. I also buy the gallon jug at Joannes at half price, it lasts me forever.

caspharm 12-14-2013 10:14 AM

I also love Best Press unscented. I usually use it full strength for regular pressing. However, when loading quilts on my LA, I use one of my quilt teachers' suggestion of using a 50/50 solution to remove the wrinkles in the fabric, rather than pressing the back and even the top. Just load the quilt and as you're rolling it, spray any areas that have wrinkles, let it relax, and then continue. It works great.

I may go ahead and use the dilution for regular pressing as well based on what I'm reading here.

Since diluting it stretches it, it reduces the cost, especially if you buy the gallon jugs, which last a while.

Grace creates 12-14-2013 10:36 AM

puckered up

I don't think some are puckered up about the price, I just think they choose to not pay that much. Maybe they just don't want to or maybe a tight budget, either way we need to keep our opinions to ourselves if they are unkind

franc36 12-14-2013 12:26 PM

I'm on my second gallon of Best Press. I heavily starch my fabric with heavy spray starch; but nothing beats Best Press for getting out hard to remove fold lines. When I finish a block or pressing a seam that doesn't lie flat, a little Best Press is what I use. I love that product!

tellabella 12-14-2013 07:27 PM

I tied it and was not impressed...will try again...but here it is very expensive....

Onebyone 12-15-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates (Post 6456298)
I don't think some are puckered up about the price, I just think they choose to not pay that much. Maybe they just don't want to or maybe a tight budget, either way we need to keep our opinions to ourselves if they are unkind

I don't think the post was unkind at all. I think it was spot on.

KalamaQuilts 12-15-2013 10:40 AM

My cousin bought me a small bottle.
I was certainly ready to be open minded, but I could see absolutely no difference between it and water. Except the scent, and I always choose nonscented everything.

I felt like I was using the Emperor's New Clothes every time I picked it up :)
but we all have different needs, that's for sure.

justducky65 12-15-2013 06:51 PM

Whether anyone thinks I am cheap or not doesn't really matter and was not intended to be the main focus I guess of this thread, and believe me I take no offense to anything said. I am a penny watcher or should I say frugal but not a cheapskate. I just pick and choose what to spend my hard-earned $$ on, and it just took me a while to try this product (of course with a discount - lol).

I was just expressing that I did indeed like the product very much and gave a heads up on purchasing it at a discounted priced the other day, after all, why pay full price when you can look for discounts out there. Doesn't make the product any less effective, just keeps a few more cents in my pocket.

To answer another question someone had about getting the fabric stiff like starch - no, it does not really stiffen the fabric per se, it just give it some crispness and body and removes the wrinkles.

Just as there are a million different fabrics out there in the world, there will always be a million opinions. Like I always tell my husband, just because we have different opinions on something, that doesn't mean one of us is right and one of us is wrong, it just is... Happy quilting everyone!

deedum 12-15-2013 07:37 PM

MEBP is my favorite. so nice and crisp! oooh! The others just don't compare!