Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I hit the on-line auction lottery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-hit-line-auction-lottery-t187036.html)

GrannieAnnie 04-24-2012 05:41 AM

I hit the on-line auction lottery

In a local on-line auction, I bid $4 on a pile of "kitchen linens". I picked it up last night but just now started looking thru it.

Among other things---------set of 8 brand new chair covers in a olive Christmas design
Several next to new HEAVY bath towels
About 6 lighter weight table cloths that will most likely be shopping bags before I'm done
A set of pretty sheets
Other odds and ends of kitchen things--pot holders, dish towels

AND A PLASTIC BAG OF EMBROIDERED STUFF
Yep, old quilt blocks that were never put together
1 cross stitched butterfly--about 16" square
14 9" character squares (kiddy stuff, bears and such)
16 9" floral squares, some cross stitched and some outline embroidered

I'm envisioning at least 2 kiddy quilts. I'll most likely keep them simple with small print sashing.

The squares are currently soaking in Oxy-clean to remove the old storage odor. The foundation fabric is either natural colored muslin or simply yellowed.

not that this has anything to do with quilting, but I also got about 15 clay baking forms----------for cookies for $13. Some are Wilton and some Brown Bag. I've never baked with clay and I'm anxious to see what I can do. Most are Christmas themed, but I've also got a bear, a horse, a heart and a pumpkin.

I've got a very slow computer connection and probably can't post pictures., But I will give it a good try as soon as I get these pieces cleaned.

luvTooQuilt 04-24-2012 06:09 AM

YAY !! Congrats..

thimblebug6000 04-24-2012 06:20 AM

Wow, what a haul! I've never tried to bid on anything... don't think I have room for all that loot though, so will leave it to you to enjoy.

valleyquiltermo 04-24-2012 06:30 AM

congrats on a nice haul

Neesie 04-24-2012 06:46 AM

Wow! You really did strike gold! Congrats!!!

One thing about the clay baking forms - I don't have any but was told to never use soap/detergent on things like that (because they can absorb it). Was told they should be scrubbed with . . . salt? baking soda? Not sure. Anyway, if you aren't familiar with them, might be a good idea to research it.

GrannieAnnie 04-24-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5166283)
Wow! You really did strike gold! Congrats!!!

One thing about the clay baking forms - I don't have any but was told to never use soap/detergent on things like that (because they can absorb it). Was told they should be scrubbed with . . . salt? baking soda? Not sure. Anyway, if you aren't familiar with them, might be a good idea to research it.

OOPS! they just went thru the dishwasher this morning. Smelled decent------------I did check that. After several items soaked in Oxy-clean I'm pretty sure there was a smoker in the house. Not terribly stained but the soak water was green enough that I know there was some smoke residue.

I'm headed back to the dining room to iron the squares ---------they looked pretty good after I removed them from their detergent wash.

GrannieAnnie 04-24-2012 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5166207)
Wow, what a haul! I've never tried to bid on anything... don't think I have room for all that loot though, so will leave it to you to enjoy.

There's a local auction company that has occasional on line auctions. I'll take what I want from my haul and put the rest in this summer's rummage sale at church. Got 3 next to new bath towels-------------and I have a couple in my cabinet that have seen their better day!

Rosewood9 04-25-2012 10:16 AM

SCORE!!! You done good!

feline fanatic 04-25-2012 10:35 AM

Regarding the clay cookie molds YOU DO NOT BAKE THE COOKIE IN THEM!!!! You have to make a special dough recipe then you press the dough in the very lightly oiled (a spray of PAM works best) and floured mold. You then give a swift bang of the mold on a wooden cutting board and the preformed cookie should come right out and you place it on a cookie sheet and bake as normal. Here is a great guide on how to use them:
http://www.brownbagcookiemolds.com/hints.shtml

You can also find the recipe on line.

Sewfine 04-26-2012 04:21 AM

Congrats on auction lottery.