Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I hit the on-line auction lottery

I hit the on-line auction lottery

In a local on-line auction, I bid $4 on a pile of "kitchen linens". I picked it up last night but just now started looking thru it.

Among other things---------set of 8 brand new chair covers in a olive Christmas design
    Several next to new HEAVY bath towels
    About 6 lighter weight table cloths that will most likely be shopping bags before I'm done
    A set of pretty sheets
    Other odds and ends of kitchen things--pot holders, dish towels

AND A PLASTIC BAG OF EMBROIDERED STUFF
    Yep, old quilt blocks that were never put together
    1 cross stitched butterfly--about 16" square
    14 9" character squares (kiddy stuff, bears and such)
    16 9" floral squares, some cross stitched and some outline embroidered

I'm envisioning at least 2 kiddy quilts. I'll most likely keep them simple with small print sashing.

The squares are currently soaking in Oxy-clean to remove the old storage odor. The foundation fabric is either natural colored muslin or simply yellowed.

not that this has anything to do with quilting, but I also got about 15 clay baking forms----------for cookies for $13. Some are Wilton and some Brown Bag. I've never baked with clay and I'm anxious to see what I can do. Most are Christmas themed, but I've also got a bear, a horse, a heart and a pumpkin.

I've got a very slow computer connection and probably can't post pictures., But I will give it a good try as soon as I get these pieces cleaned.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    YAY !! Congrats..

Wow, what a haul! I've never tried to bid on anything... don't think I have room for all that loot though, so will leave it to you to enjoy.

congrats on a nice haul
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Wow! You really did strike gold! Congrats!!!

One thing about the clay baking forms - I don't have any but was told to never use soap/detergent on things like that (because they can absorb it). Was told they should be scrubbed with . . . salt? baking soda? Not sure. Anyway, if you aren't familiar with them, might be a good idea to research it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Wow! You really did strike gold! Congrats!!!

One thing about the clay baking forms - I don't have any but was told to never use soap/detergent on things like that (because they can absorb it). Was told they should be scrubbed with . . . salt? baking soda? Not sure. Anyway, if you aren't familiar with them, might be a good idea to research it.
    OOPS! they just went thru the dishwasher this morning. Smelled decent------------I did check that. After several items soaked in Oxy-clean I'm pretty sure there was a smoker in the house. Not terribly stained but the soak water was green enough that I know there was some smoke residue.

I'm headed back to the dining room to iron the squares ---------they looked pretty good after I removed them from their detergent wash.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Wow, what a haul! I've never tried to bid on anything... don't think I have room for all that loot though, so will leave it to you to enjoy.
    There's a local auction company that has occasional on line auctions. I'll take what I want from my haul and put the rest in this summer's rummage sale at church. Got 3 next to new bath towels-------------and I have a couple in my cabinet that have seen their better day!
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    SCORE!!! You done good!

Regarding the clay cookie molds YOU DO NOT BAKE THE COOKIE IN THEM!!!! You have to make a special dough recipe then you press the dough in the very lightly oiled (a spray of PAM works best) and floured mold. You then give a swift bang of the mold on a wooden cutting board and the preformed cookie should come right out and you place it on a cookie sheet and bake as normal. Here is a great guide on how to use them:
    http://www.brownbagcookiemolds.com/hints.shtml

You can also find the recipe on line.

Congrats on auction lottery.

oxyclean removed color from my rug...i hope it doesn't fade your new found treasures.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Awesome !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow! You go girl!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

WOO HOO!! Congrats! I love it when you buy something, open it up and find more treasures!!! Have fun.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

I love auctions - my favorite auctioneer is going totally online after years of live. I did get a 30's hand peiced & quilted lap quilt already framed for $25.00! Score one for me! Have fun and your win sounds awesome - will have to start bidding again.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Smoke from smoking legal, regular cigarettes is brown, not green. You called that one wrong.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Wow, this sounds exciting. It sounds similar to Christmas when you open the packages. Congrats. Teresa

Blog Entries
    What a great bunch of goodies. I have a clay cooker (Romertov) and the instructions said to wash it with salt water...no soap. I love it and it makes the greatest pot roast ever!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

since you already washed the molds in dishwasher, i suggest you "sweeten" them by soaking in a mixture of table salt and baking soda. Ought to take out any remaining and residual taste and odors.

Wow, I love to go through surprises like that. Have fun playing with everything

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Smoke from smoking legal, regular cigarettes is brown, not green. You called that one wrong.

When I clean smoke filled fabric, the water turns green. I've done it too many times to be mistaken.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
    since you already washed the molds in dishwasher, i suggest you "sweeten" them by soaking in a mixture of table salt and baking soda. Ought to take out any remaining and residual taste and odors.
    Thanks for the hint! But they smell okay to me. I do know baking soda sweetens lots of stuff------including unhappy tummies!
    U N T I E

A few years ago, my DH's family was having an auction to get rid of his oldest aunt's stuff. They gave me a few things, not exactly what I wanted, exactly, but a few things. One box I bid on had some blankets in decent shape--big box. I intended to use the blankets for linings in some simple quilty things I was making for my GS. When I got it home, you'll never believe what I found in the bottom of the CARDBOARD box. Two very old (probably near 100 years old) baby gowns that belonged to my MIL's two older sisters.

No way of knowing how many years those two dresses were in the bottom of the box but they were very splotchy about the same color of tan/gold as the cardboard. After a few rounds in Oxy-clean they came out almost perfectly. AND I'M NOT GIVING THEM BACK. I had to pay for them, so they are mine. Besides, I don't think anyone in the family would put any value on them.

These auctions are my form of "Storage Wars" entertainment. I think I mentioned this a year or so ago, but a gal at our church won a trunk load of fabric for a $7 bid. She gave it to our church group. A lot of it went for the nearly 100 blankets we sent to tornado victims last spring. We're still playing with all the goodies in that haul. Bunches of spare quilt blocks that are making great table runners and such.
    U N T I E

I finally got the squares ironed. I've divided them up into themes-------
    some little kewpie doll blocks..........
    some "sunbonnet sue" type of outline embroidery blocks..........
    a few bear blocks........
    some cross-stitched geometric blocks..........
    some florals...........
    and one big cross stitched butterfly-----------probably a pillow.

And they are in very good shape except for a couple stains.
    Some might end up as table runners. Although I may use them all for small quilt tops.

Good news-----------my DD got a new computer. I'll be taking pics of the blocks and trying to post them here next week.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Regarding the clay cookie molds YOU DO NOT BAKE THE COOKIE IN THEM!!!! You have to make a special dough recipe then you press the dough in the very lightly oiled (a spray of PAM works best) and floured mold. You then give a swift bang of the mold on a wooden cutting board and the preformed cookie should come right out and you place it on a cookie sheet and bake as normal. Here is a great guide on how to use them:
    http://www.brownbagcookiemolds.com/hints.shtml

You can also find the recipe on line.
    With the Wilton forms, you can bake in them if you desire.
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast