Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Just Can't Cut it. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-cant-cut-t107017.html)

Monika 03-12-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by darlin121
There is actually a pattern called Just Can't Cut It by All Washed Up

I love that pattern! I have used it several times....all on fabric I just couldn't cut!........ :-D

CloverPatch 03-12-2011 09:25 AM

I have that problem, worry that I will mess up, or not use it to its full potential. Ends up sitting around stored for years. There was some i found recently and asked myself "why didn't I ever use this, its georgous?" I still need to use it LOL!

Kas 03-12-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I think that most of us become emotionally involved with our fabrics. As I near the end of some of my favs, I almost go into mourning. I catch myself trying to substitue another fabric instead of using the ones I truly love. That is the power of the beauty of fabric.

I know what you mean! Crazy as it sounds, I am in mourning for a purple batik I call Patty Purple because it looked just like the purple glaze one of my neighbor's potter friends made up to put on ALL her pots. Her name was Patty and she called it Patty Purple. It was such a cool color. I used my batik in a class auction project (that I didn't win :( ) and now I only have a strip abouut 4" x 6". That's it. It's gone. I am so sad!

Lori S 03-12-2011 10:11 AM

I have a separate place in my stash I refer to as the Fabric museum. It where those just to beautiful to cut fabrics are placed. Yes there are times when one comes out and makes it to the cutting table , and there is that really long pause, like ....is this it ?, is the project truly worthy? Some get replaced when a get a superior fabric , and the old museum piece just does not look as fabulous as the new.
I have family that has there own "museums", but we always have to check each others out.... and tease each other about having to search or frisk each other after they have been checking it out. When we go fabric shopping together , we always tease each other and ask " Is it a museum piece"?

Rockey 03-12-2011 04:45 PM

I Have fabric I just couldn't cut. Then I found a pattern called
Easy Breezy.You use your fabric almost as long as your quilt top.
It has an inside border, a Zig Zag border & an outside border.That
way you get to enjoy your whole piece of fabric.I just made this & got rave reviews at the quilt guild
.Rockey

Aurora 03-13-2011 03:01 AM

I use to be like that. But since I had bought that fabric for a specific project, I forced myself to cut it and use it; then I found I could not wait to put it in other projects. I might even purchase more of the fabric so I can use it in lots of projects. I find that my budget does not allow me to just look at fabric. A very smart man once told the that money only has value if you spend it. I think that also applies to fabric, it only has beauty if it is used and seen by others.

Once I put cutting in prospective, I no longer had a problem with the first cut.

justlooking 03-13-2011 03:33 AM

I can hardly wait to get start on those fabrics and see them in a finished quilt. I would never use small pieces.

Yooper32 03-13-2011 04:37 AM

Here I thought that I was the only one who had fabric that is just too pretty to use, so I take it out occasionally and look at it and pet it, fold it up and put it back. No, too nice to use in that project or any other one so far. I know it makes no sense and the thought of my grandchildren using it to dry the dog off after a swim in the pond just makes me physically ill. Maybe I had better re-think this hoarding issue.

sewTinker 03-13-2011 04:38 AM

that even happens with a strip or a charm. I will start to use it and then see how extraordinary it is and want to Save it. hahahaha... It's hard to move through that.

Yooper32 03-13-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kas

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I think that most of us become emotionally involved with our fabrics. As I near the end of some of my favs, I almost go into mourning. I catch myself trying to substitue another fabric instead of using the ones I truly love. That is the power of the beauty of fabric.

I know what you mean! Crazy as it sounds, I am in mourning for a purple batik I call Patty Purple because it looked just like the purple glaze one of my neighbor's potter friends made up to put on ALL her pots. Her name was Patty and she called it Patty Purple. It was such a cool color. I used my batik in a class auction project (that I didn't win :( ) and now I only have a strip abouut 4" x 6". That's it. It's gone. I am so sad!

I feel your pain. :-(