Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Can't Cut it.

Having trouble cutting into your fabrics, I love some of mine soooo much that I have a great deal of trouble doing the first cut. I think maybe I should save it for a better project etc, any ideas how to get over this ?

Blog Entries
    Those very special fabrics that you just hate to cut.....just imagine how pretty the quilt will be when done.

I have the same problem that is why my stash keeps growing. It is a shame all my too pretty to cut don't blend or I could have one beautiful quilt.

let me know when you find out

I look for Big Block patterns, where lots and lots of the fabric will show.

I was once told "Those beautiful fabrics that you just can't cut into.....do it......otherwise your grandkids will inherit that fabric and make Halloween costumes out of it"

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    I was once told "Those beautiful fabrics that you just can't cut into.....do it......otherwise your grandkids will inherit that fabric and make Halloween costumes out of it"
    Oh Just the thought of that makes me want to quilt
    :0)

Blog Entries
    Only those with big designs thatI'm afraid I'll lose by cutting. My LQS has a lot of patterns for those, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    So agree with Lilrain,, when my Mom passed, , I found yd & yd of fabric & patterns unopened. Would much have preferred to have found finished quilts.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I don't have that problem. The fabric that I really love is always the ones I want to cut up first.

Banned
    I tacked up two Japanese fabrics, that I can bear to cut, like they were art works (which, actually, they are). One is in my bedroom, the other in the Quilt Room.

It's not so much the cutting, it's the hoarding. I find that I don't want to use any of the fabric up, because I might need it later!

If you're not sure if a pattern is right for a fabric, put up photos here and ask us.

I think that most of us become emotionally involved with our fabrics. As I near the end of some of my favs, I almost go into mourning. I catch myself trying to substitue another fabric instead of using the ones I truly love. That is the power of the beauty of fabric.

Blog Entries
    Make something out of it, that you will use often. Put a smaller piece of it in a picture frame and hang it up.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have some that I'm saving till I find that special pattern or until I think my quilting skills improve enough to really showcase them.

There is actually a pattern called Just Can't Cut It by All Washed Up

The only time I have trouble cutting into something is if I can't decide on a pattern in the first place, not because I might find a better pattern later!

Like gollytwo, it is the gorgeous Japanese fabrics I have trouble cutting. Purchased 2 gorgeous prints for OBWs last week and I am having so much fun with the mirrors..who knows when I'll get them cut.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When the perfect pattern comes along you will be glad to cut it up. I have experienced this phenomenon a few times. Until then, don't fret.

Thats why I have yards and yards and no finished projects!

Quote Originally Posted by darlin121
    There is actually a pattern called Just Can't Cut It by All Washed Up
    I love that pattern! I have used it several times....all on fabric I just couldn't cut!........ :-D

Blog Entries
    I have that problem, worry that I will mess up, or not use it to its full potential. Ends up sitting around stored for years. There was some i found recently and asked myself "why didn't I ever use this, its georgous?" I still need to use it LOL!

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I think that most of us become emotionally involved with our fabrics. As I near the end of some of my favs, I almost go into mourning. I catch myself trying to substitue another fabric instead of using the ones I truly love. That is the power of the beauty of fabric.
    I know what you mean! Crazy as it sounds, I am in mourning for a purple batik I call Patty Purple because it looked just like the purple glaze one of my neighbor's potter friends made up to put on ALL her pots. Her name was Patty and she called it Patty Purple. It was such a cool color. I used my batik in a class auction project (that I didn't win :( ) and now I only have a strip abouut 4" x 6". That's it. It's gone. I am so sad!

I have a separate place in my stash I refer to as the Fabric museum. It where those just to beautiful to cut fabrics are placed. Yes there are times when one comes out and makes it to the cutting table , and there is that really long pause, like ....is this it ?, is the project truly worthy? Some get replaced when a get a superior fabric , and the old museum piece just does not look as fabulous as the new.
    I have family that has there own "museums", but we always have to check each others out.... and tease each other about having to search or frisk each other after they have been checking it out. When we go fabric shopping together , we always tease each other and ask " Is it a museum piece"?

I Have fabric I just couldn't cut. Then I found a pattern called
    Easy Breezy.You use your fabric almost as long as your quilt top.
    It has an inside border, a Zig Zag border & an outside border.That
    way you get to enjoy your whole piece of fabric.I just made this & got rave reviews at the quilt guild
    .Rockey

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast