Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Can't Cut it.

Blog Entries
    I use to be like that. But since I had bought that fabric for a specific project, I forced myself to cut it and use it; then I found I could not wait to put it in other projects. I might even purchase more of the fabric so I can use it in lots of projects. I find that my budget does not allow me to just look at fabric. A very smart man once told the that money only has value if you spend it. I think that also applies to fabric, it only has beauty if it is used and seen by others.

Once I put cutting in prospective, I no longer had a problem with the first cut.

I can hardly wait to get start on those fabrics and see them in a finished quilt. I would never use small pieces.

Here I thought that I was the only one who had fabric that is just too pretty to use, so I take it out occasionally and look at it and pet it, fold it up and put it back. No, too nice to use in that project or any other one so far. I know it makes no sense and the thought of my grandchildren using it to dry the dog off after a swim in the pond just makes me physically ill. Maybe I had better re-think this hoarding issue.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    that even happens with a strip or a charm. I will start to use it and then see how extraordinary it is and want to Save it. hahahaha... It's hard to move through that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I think that most of us become emotionally involved with our fabrics. As I near the end of some of my favs, I almost go into mourning. I catch myself trying to substitue another fabric instead of using the ones I truly love. That is the power of the beauty of fabric.
    I know what you mean! Crazy as it sounds, I am in mourning for a purple batik I call Patty Purple because it looked just like the purple glaze one of my neighbor's potter friends made up to put on ALL her pots. Her name was Patty and she called it Patty Purple. It was such a cool color. I used my batik in a class auction project (that I didn't win :( ) and now I only have a strip abouut 4" x 6". That's it. It's gone. I am so sad!
    I feel your pain. :-(

Blog Entries
    I have a book called,"Just can't cut it." there are many patterns for large pieces of fabric.

My prescription for this.
    1. Gather a favorite fabric
    2. Gather your best cutting tools
    3. Take a good stiff drink
    4. Cut up at least half of each piece into the sizes you cut your scrap into. For me that's 5" charms. Don't save more than a FQ of small prints, 1/2yd of medium or 1yd of large. If you have 4+yds, save about 2 so you can use it as a nice wide picture border.
    5. Put the cut pieces together with the yardage
    6. Troll your pattern collection, books, online, quilts you've often wanted to do, and imagine that fabric in them. I generally find something that will take my imagination.
    7. If you can't bring yourself to do any of this, then hem it and use it as a bed sheet or table topper. Either way it gets it out where you can see it and enjoy it even more.

Blog Entries
    ditto carrie, I buy my fabrics to cut amd make quilts,

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32
    Here I thought that I was the only one who had fabric that is just too pretty to use, so I take it out occasionally and look at it and pet it, fold it up and put it back. No, too nice to use in that project or any other one so far. I know it makes no sense and the thought of my grandchildren using it to dry the dog off after a swim in the pond just makes me physically ill. Maybe I had better re-think this hoarding issue.
    OMG, 32 yrs ago my sons used this beautiful fabric I purchased to make curtains and table cover. I came home from work to find my fabric cut by my sons to use for capes and curtain for their play. You can imagine how upset I was. Today, thanks for bringing up that memory. Really made my day. I hadn't laughed in 4 days. Had back surgery.

Blog Entries
    there is a pattern and a book called Just can't cut it. I have been many quilts using it. The book is by Pamela Mostek, the patten is by All Washed Up Just. Check out www.allwashedupquilts.com. You can also checkout sewmuchfunincolumbus.com, they have two great patterns, Big Picture and Portrait in Flight hope this helps. I made a great quilt with big picture. I will post it for you to see if you like Good Luck

Oh I do identify with this problem.Only certain people get stuff made from my special stash, and although I love to share my quilts sometimes its a struggle.

Blog Entries
    I am new to quilting and I brought some Moda Blackbird design fabric which I will use when I am advanced in quilting (my quilt). I also have some vintage fat quarters that are part of my decor (The pattern for the vintage will be a row by row pattern designed by Sandy Klop of American Jane Patterns that would work perfect, americanjane.com I think will work well.

Blog Entries
    Here is the same :-D , but I found: if I did not do it now I will do nothing.

Days pass, life is short, thoughts r too many

So the fabric with u now will be nice for next quilt ,and will be the best 4 that pattern :-P

Junior Member QuiltingrandmafromMi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Go ahead and cut it, if you don't chances are, someday, someone, will do it for you~
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    I use to be like that. But since I had bought that fabric for a specific project, I forced myself to cut it and use it; then I found I could not wait to put it in other projects. I might even purchase more of the fabric so I can use it in lots of projects. I find that my budget does not allow me to just look at fabric. A very smart man once told the that money only has value if you spend it. I think that also applies to fabric, it only has beauty if it is used and seen by others.

Once I put cutting in prospective, I no longer had a problem with the first cut.
    What a wonderful statement! I'm gonna have to remember this...and say it to myself, over and over! Then we can all enjoy my favorite fabrics :)

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    I was once told "Those beautiful fabrics that you just can't cut into.....do it......otherwise your grandkids will inherit that fabric and make Halloween costumes out of it"
    Oh Just the thought of that makes me want to quilt
    :0)
    Second that.

I try to remind myself that another fabric will come along that will be just as fabulous.

There is always something just a little bit prettier somewhere. Cut, then start your search to find something you'll love even more. :-)

Blog Entries
    If you do not use it someday someone else will. Lady told me one day who was I saving that fine china for My KIDS. Use it, cut it and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by paula153
    Having trouble cutting into your fabrics, I love some of mine soooo much that I have a great deal of trouble doing the first cut. I think maybe I should save it for a better project etc, any ideas how to get over this ?
    There will always be more pretty fabric to buy! :-D :-D :-D

When I find fabric I love I buy extra and the min. I get home I cut that extra off, smile. Then I experiment with blocks until I come up with what I want. Works for me.

Blog Entries
    I bought yards and yards of a beautiful (to me) multi-colored toile. I have used small portions in several quilts and have found another pattern to use some of it. It is called Colonial Elegance in the March/April 2011 magazine. I am going to make it larger than the magazine by using the toile in an additional border.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at the post under the "Pictures" section titled "Quilter wanna be" by Kendallsmom on 3/12/2011. She is a new quilter and sewer who has made some beautiful tops with large pieces of fabric that would be perfect for those pieces you don't want to cut. We could all take a lesson from her! :thumbup:

Sue

Blog Entries
    There have been only a few pieces of fabric I hated to cut so I bought more and cut it.

Blog Entries
    Hi! I see you are from Edinburgh. When I was there I never had an opportunity to look at any fabric stores. I wondered if fabric choices were diff. Than ours in the states. I would love to see pics of your fabric stores inside. Is there any way you Cld do that for an Avid Scots loving American?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast