Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I Just Can't Cut it.

Blog Entries
    so make it into a painting you can hang on your wall instead of cutting it. My sil had me make him a funny looking wall hanging to put up over their fireplace. It looks great, forgot to take picture of it. Joann's has 50% off custom framing. Would that make a great frame for you fabric or what?

i try to always buy an extra 1/4 yard to save, so i can cut up the rest of the yardage....has helped me alot!! gina

Quote Originally Posted by paula153
    Having trouble cutting into your fabrics, I love some of mine soooo much that I have a great deal of trouble doing the first cut. I think maybe I should save it for a better project etc, any ideas how to get over this ?
    Don't cut it. Use it for the back of a great quilt. Of course, backs are more important to me than to lots of other people. Sometimes the back is better than the top.

Having trouble cutting into your fabrics, I love some of mine soooo much that I have a great deal of trouble doing the first cut. I think maybe I should save it for a better project etc, any ideas how to get over this ?
    Rehab

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo
    so make it into a painting you can hang on your wall instead of cutting it. My sil had me make him a funny looking wall hanging to put up over their fireplace. It looks great, forgot to take picture of it. Joann's has 50% off custom framing. Would that make a great frame for you fabric or what?
    How many can you hang on the wall..I say cut that stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails
    Rehab
    No cutting a few will get you through it. If that does not work..
    Rehab

Yes.Try some patterns that show off big squares of the material with decorative use of the sashing. I have one I like in particular which I will do soon. It has a large square of the fabric surrounded by a checker - board pattern using the same fabric and a contrast. It looks great and from memory, there are about 15 blocks in the pattern.Simple and effective.

Blog Entries
    I got a great laugh out of REHAB. I can't say that I couldn't cut any of my fabric. Just need to find it all so it is handy when I WANT to cut it. Well, ladies, & gents, good night it has been a long day what with SPRING ahead 1 hr. Sure wished they would leave it one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I don't have that problem. The fabric that I really love is always the ones I want to cut up first.
    Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerpam
    I don't have that problem. The fabric that I really love is always the ones I want to cut up first.
    Me too!!
    Me to Its been fun poking fun at you all. Just rember we love you and we are all in the same basket. lol

Blog Entries
    I have some gorgeous black Michael Miller fabric with huge pink, yellow and peach roses all over it in bunches or sprays. It is so beautiful! The motif is big, about 14" with a 24" repeat, and I've been waiting 3 years or so to find the right pattern. I bought enough of it for the backing as well. Somebody help, please, with a great pattern.

Some I've just put away until they don't "look" like I don't want to cut into it as much as something newer I just bought!
    Others I put away until just the right pattern comes my way.

I don't really have a solution! Sorry!

:thumbup: :lol:

Blog Entries
    i love cutting the material because i can just know how beautiful it will be.

Just grit your teeth and go for it. You will love the end result. :thumbup:

I used to have this problem with using ANY of my craft and art supplies. My husband (after many repetitions) finally convinced me that I was being silly and if I ruined something I could buy more, recycle or just toss the mistakes. I always said I liked having stuff more than using it. Now I have the courage to experiment and "plow ahead" and I am enjoying all my art more and creating some of my best work and I rarely end up with something I don't like. I guess I've finally begun to trust myself. I say just go for it.

Cut and more shall be provided to you. That's how I learned I didn't have to buy every yard of fabric I found I liked because there is ALWAYS going to be more. So I use those nice fabrics every chance I get so I can buy more. I do have one piece, a gift from an old college friend, hand baticed, it will never feel the blade of a scissors, and hangs in my sewing room for me to enjoy forever. I used to toil over cutting and gave myself permission to just enjoy it.

I always hate making the first cut.

A fairly common illness it seems! I think that may be in part why so many pattern designers have created the lovely new patterns that actually feature large pieces of those "just can't cut it" fabrics - in fact, I even have a book by that title!!!
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Just do it!!

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattyjo7686
    Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerpam
    Me too!!
    Me to Its been fun poking fun at you all. Just rember we love you and we are all in the same basket. lol
    LOL

Just remember the more you cut the more you can buy!!!! LOL

I give myself permission to cut into my fabrics, that is why I bought them.
    SharonW.

I was like that in the beginning. Now I use whatever I have and when I need more, I buy a little bit at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojesek
    I used to have this problem with using ANY of my craft and art supplies. My husband (after many repetitions) finally convinced me that I was being silly and if I ruined something I could buy more, recycle or just toss the mistakes. I always said I liked having stuff more than using it. Now I have the courage to experiment and "plow ahead" and I am enjoying all my art more and creating some of my best work and I rarely end up with something I don't like. I guess I've finally begun to trust myself. I say just go for it.
    Good for you. I is so good to be creative it just opens up part of the brain that gives you pleasure, an to be able to trust your ideas.

I have a piece of turquoise silk that I know I won't be cutting until I've made so many quilts I can't stand it. Too new now to even consider it!

As it is, with any of my fabrics I stand over the cutting mat holding the rotary triple and quadruple checking the measure before I cut the once ;-)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast