Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just cracked my cutting mat! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-cracked-my-cutting-mat-t224131.html)

ging10ging 06-20-2013 03:53 PM

Wow I didn't know about the soaking the mats never gave it a thought they would break. Thanks for the info. Sue

Janice McC 06-20-2013 04:04 PM

Soaking is news to me, too. Will soak my mats over the weekend. Thanks!

Jan in VA 06-20-2013 05:50 PM

Soak larger mats on the kitchen floor overnight with wet bath towels on top.
Do the other side the next night.

Jan in VA

q.alba 06-20-2013 06:13 PM

BellaBoo - Thanks for the info. Like other posters, I don't have a tub big enough for my large mat to lay flat.

Jan in VA - Do you think I could put my mat on a table (non wood) and spray it down and then let it sit overnight or do I need to have the wet bath towels?

QuiltPat - Now, why didn't I think of about duct tape! That would keep it from getting worse. Thanks for the idea!

Tessagin- I quit buying good scissors for that reason also. Dropping them on basement concrete floor really does a number on them. I have at least two pair sitting in the closet that I can't bring myself to throw away.

Jan in VA 06-20-2013 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by q.alba (Post 6134235)
.....Jan in VA - Do you think I could put my mat on a table (non wood) and spray it down and then let it sit overnight or do I need to have the wet bath towels?.....

Why not? :)

Jan in VA

Nammie to 7 06-20-2013 08:58 PM

I've never heard about soaking mats either but am going to do it tomorrow! Thanks for that great hint.

DOTTYMO 06-20-2013 10:45 PM

When you can afford a new one , cut this one into smaller mats. To take to class to use for small sections in other places etc. in the meantime. I found duck tape on the side you do not use for cutting and then soak. I use the bath. No one gives instructions on keeping them in tip top condition .ie how to clean when fluff in the cuts.

q.alba 06-21-2013 12:11 AM

DottyMo, thanks for the advice. I haven't used the mat since the crack occurred. If the crack proves to be a problem, I decided I would cut it up and use the pieces. I think that using the Duck tape will be the best solution. Let's hear it for Duck tape! I plan on splurging and buying one of the "fancy" designer rolls. Maybe hot pink or a leopard. Can't have this old mat that has served me well fixed up with drab gray even though it will be on the back!

Vera39760 06-21-2013 03:41 AM

My boys cracked mine fighting many years ago. I guess it made a good weapon for one of them. I used duck tape until they had saved enough money to replace it. I still have the duck taped mat. They replaced it but the old one that is already "hurt" comes in handy sometime. That was around 15 years ago.

athenascooter 06-21-2013 03:56 AM

don't throw the mat away. Cut into pieces to use in the bottom of totes. Just cover with fabric and it is easy to remove and wash to keep the bottom of the tote clean and gives support to it also