Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just cracked my cutting mat! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-cracked-my-cutting-mat-t224131.html)

mjhaess 06-21-2013 04:05 AM

I did the same thing to my mat...Then low and behold, it broke again another place and I threw it out...A costly blunder on my part.

coopah 06-21-2013 05:57 AM

What about a metal drip pan for catching oil under vehicles? They are different sizes (DH says about 3 sizes available), made of metal, and would be deep enough for a cutting mat. They look like a big cookie sheet. You could find them at auto supply stores, or maybe even KMart or Target. Just an idea.

katesnanna 06-21-2013 06:05 AM

I've heard of soaking mats but had never heard of mats cracking or splitting. Something new I've learned today.

BellaBoo 06-21-2013 06:14 AM

My biggest mat is 60" x 40". I throw my mats in our pool over night (the pump doesn't run at night) Get them out the next morning. Air dry them on the back porch floor out of the sun. A child's wading pool is big enough for most of the smaller mats but I can't keep my dog out of it when I have the mats in it. LOL

ShirlinAZ 06-21-2013 06:17 AM

Every couple of weeks I mist my mat with the spray bottle when I shut down for the night and just let it soak until the next day. It's usually dry by the time I wake up in the morning, but if not it gets a quick wipe down with a towel. Mats definitely last longer with humidity. If you live in a humid climate you may not need to soak them as often, but the furnace and A/C will dry them out too so a little misting once in a while will help.

catmcclure 06-21-2013 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by IQ2 (Post 6133481)
where do you soak it? My mat is 24x36 and my tub wouldn't fit it flat.

Plastic cloth on table or something to protect tabletop. Then soak a bathtowel and spread over the mat. Leave for several hours. Then remove towel and let mat dry.

littlebitoheaven 06-21-2013 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6134469)
When you can afford a new one , cut this one into smaller mats. To take to class to use for small sections in other places etc. in the meantime. I found duck tape on the side you do not use for cutting and then soak. I use the bath. No one gives instructions on keeping them in tip top condition .ie how to clean when fluff in the cuts.

I have had this problem and found that an eraser does the trick. I found a very large (pink) eraser at the dollar store, approximately 4" x 2", which I will only use to clean my mats.

sulyle 06-21-2013 07:03 AM

I didn't even know that I should be doing this but I live in an area of high humidity so my mats have stayed relatively pliable. Still it couldn't hurt to give them a soak once a year. Can't wait to hear what DH says when he finds my olfa having a bubble bath. lol

Geri B 06-21-2013 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6133361)
The mat was dried out! Keep you self healing mats like new by soaking in room temp water over night and air dry. I give my mats a good soaking once a year.

Did not know that...thanks for the great hint....going to be "soaking" mats today as well as doing laundry.

oldtnquiltinglady 06-21-2013 08:20 AM

You ladies are so smart. I got myself an education on cutting mats this morning. Thanks a lot.