Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just don't want to do it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-dont-want-do-t156101.html)

vivoaks 09-27-2011 04:20 AM

I'm very good at procrastinating, as well. My son's wedding was 2-1/2 years ago, and I still don't have his quilt done.... There comes a point where you just have to sit down and do it! I've been working on mine - go ahead and at least start on yours! :thumbup:

Annette Searcy 09-27-2011 05:01 AM

any time something becomes a "job" it becomes less enjoyable.
I just say no to begin with then I don't have to fret about it and if you lose a friend because you said no then you didn't have a friend to begin with.

Annette Searcy 09-27-2011 05:02 AM

any time something becomes a "job" it becomes less enjoyable.
I just say no to begin with then I don't have to fret about it and if you lose a friend because you said no then you didn't have a friend to begin with.

weezie 09-27-2011 05:12 AM

I'd say that you've learned a valuable lesson to just say "No" in future. Meanwhile ... a bite at a time.

I am sort of in the same boat, but my project is my own ... I'm hand quilting a king sized quilt that I started nearly 15 years ago (my first quilt, made strictly for practice and to learn from my mistakes, of which there are many); my DH, who is in very fragile health, loves this quilt and has made it his own and I have to finish it. I'm o.k. with working on it a bit each day until I get a notion to start something new; then I resent the "practice quilt" so much! I set goals for how much of the hand quilting I'll do on it before I set it aside for a while to work on something else, knowing DH will say, "Why aren't you working on mine?" No pressure there!

Baloonatic 09-27-2011 05:27 AM

Can you talk to the lady and see if you could change whatever it is that is depressing you about the job? NO ONE needs to have to create something that they dislike! I believe that your feelings will be evident in the finished quilt!
If you want to send me the pattern and some material, I'll do some blocks for you. You don't have to eat the whole elephant by yourself!!

Baloonatic 09-27-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by mrsponcho1
When I have something to do that I really don't want to do, I make a deal with myself. No quiltingboard till I spend at least 10 minutes on the dreaded project. Usually time gets away from me and I end up spending more than 10 minutes. Good luck with your project.

Wait, what?? No QB???

Kehoeta 09-27-2011 05:33 AM

Put a movie in the DVR... Sit - Sew...

Nothing will make the UCKS go away until the blasted thing is done.

Bueniebabe 09-27-2011 05:42 AM

I don't sew for anybody because I have trouble getting it done. I only sew stuff I want to sew. My girlfriend does take my rejects if it's to much trouble to take apart. A family friend told me I don't have a job so I should have time and quit running around.

patdesign 09-27-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I have a quilt to finish for a friend for her daughter for Christmas. I don't like the colors she chose or pattern - even though I designed it. My motivation is supposed to be I'm not allowing myself to start another project until it is done. I haven't started anything, but I sure spend a lot of time staring wistfully at my stash and shopping for more stash instead of finishing it. I've even tried to talk myself into doing one thing to it every day - kind of like eating a whole elephant - one bite at a time.

I'll get it done because I keep my word, but it sure is putting a damper on my happy! After this quilt is out of my room I am not taking on anymore mending, alterations, quilt requests or any other things people can come up with to fill my time. I should have had a whole passel of kids; maybe people would think I'm too busy to do their mending.

What do you do when you get stuck?

They say that the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, so my advice is just do a little to begin and then maybe it won't be so tough once you have some of it done. :-D

star619 09-27-2011 06:19 AM

I,too, use the reward system. I will tell myself "just one more block, or one more seam, & you can quit." It's like the children's story: "Inch by inch, life is a cinch; mile by mile ....(something negative that I can't remember)".
Anyway, get it done & the degree of relief you feel at the end should be invested whenever some asks you to do " a little something." Shout "No! I'm backed up & can't possibly take on another project right now!" Then smile, and walk away.
Best of wishes!