Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just love handquilting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-love-handquilting-t108313.html)

lance1quilts22 03-18-2011 09:23 AM

:D :D Hand quilting is the only way for me. After 30 years I just can not machine quilt. I do not quilt many quilts a year but I am proud of each one I do finish. If I stop making tops now I would still be quilting 10 years from now to catch up.I hope the art of hand quilting never goes away.

IBQUILTIN 03-18-2011 09:31 AM

How do you decide which way you are going to quilt one? By hand or by machine. I try to think of the purpose first, then decide

patmas57 03-18-2011 09:38 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. My first top is pieced (by machine) and ready for layering (when I figure out where I can do it; thinking of the tacking it to the wall option). It has a center panel of colorful, wacky birdhouses and jungle-like fronds, and I want to try handquilting there. Maybe do some birds or butterflies in the sky. I thought I'd see how that went, and then either continue handquilting the successive "borders" or machine quilt them. I worry that I'm old enough now to feel a little stiffness in my hands when I wake up in the morning (should have "started" years ago?), but I'm game to try.

LivelyLady 03-18-2011 09:39 AM

I love hand quilting too. Not only is it soooo relaxing, but it is portable. I enjoy FMQ too, which I'll do if I need to complete a project quickly.

LivelyLady 03-18-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by chance
Super Glue!! A dab on each of your finger tips gives you instant callouses. Just make sure they are completely dry before your finger touch each other. Really helps/ Got this tip from someone on this board but can't remember who.

Great tip..thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that, but I used Super Glue for paper cuts when I worked in an office ..worked great!

57granny 03-18-2011 09:55 AM

I would love to learn to hand quilt. What do you need for supplies and how do you do it.

louisebuck 03-18-2011 10:40 AM

i am so glad that i am not the only one loves hand quilting
i love to piece my block also yes it is very relaxing to me.
louise in arkansas

tisha 03-18-2011 10:49 AM

Hi I too like to do hand work. My first quilt was all done by hand 30 years ago. Would any of you like to share the new procedures and supplies you use to transfer your patterns or designs. I have seen a lot of blue water soluble pens. Do they really wash out? I used chalk in the old days. Does any one use tear way or wash away paper? Does every one find a hoop works better for smaller stitches? Last but not least, what size of needle do you use? The books have so many ideas, I would like to hear what works for you. Thanks

sharkee 03-18-2011 11:12 AM

I am hand quilting my second quilt now and I just love it. It seems to relax me. Even if my stitches are not real small yet, I like the look of it and in time with more practice I'm sure it will get better

Borntohandquilt 03-18-2011 11:55 AM

Tisha,
I like to use the traditional transfer methods a lot. Of course I use the precut stencils but I also make many templates out of cardboard for patterns I find in books or I designed myself. For marking I use watercolor pencils or the needlemarking method. To be honest, I don't like the water soluble pens - some of my quilting friends here had some problems with removing them and I really don't want that on the solids I work with.
I work in a hoop on a floor stand and for me it is perfect that way. I can't do even and small stitches without a hoop - but this is just my way of doing handquilting.
I perfer a John James Betweens #11 - they don't bend and the nickel cover stays for a long time, even in summer when the weather is hot and my hands are sweating.