Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just love handquilting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-love-handquilting-t108313.html)

janedee 03-18-2011 04:32 AM

I always do hand quilting no matter what the size of the project haven't got the patience to learn machine quilting!!! Its my switch off time and I can sit in a comfy chair and still be busy

granniegg 03-18-2011 04:32 AM

I thought I gave up most tv shows for Lent but now I know its for the peace of handsewing and more beauty in my daily life.

janedee 03-18-2011 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by spindreams
I'm another hand quilting fan. I also love needle turn applique, so none of my quilts get done very quickly. But I generally do "quilt as you go", so I can carry my applique and hand quilting projects around. I've quilted while waiting through an in-law's surgery, on plane trips, while watching T.V., and even at conferences (I sit near the back, because people don't "get" that I one can quilt and still be tuned in to what the conference speaker is saying.) Hand applique and quilting is like meditation.

Jane

how odd we both have the same name and like you I love needleturn applique and hand quilting in fact thats how most of my
quilts are done

chance 03-18-2011 04:44 AM

Super Glue!! A dab on each of your finger tips gives you instant callouses. Just make sure they are completely dry before your finger touch each other. Really helps/ Got this tip from someone on this board but can't remember who.

SandraD 03-18-2011 04:45 AM

Also a hand quilter and I share your enthusiasm! I absolutely love sitting on the couch with my hubby quilting away.....

Scrap Happy 03-18-2011 04:58 AM

It's been a while since I've done any hand quilting. There is somthing so very relaxing abou it. I lose complete track of time when hand quilting.

MissQuilter 03-18-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by MIJul
O.K. I'm going to use this for personal gain, if that's all right. Since I've found all you hand quilting enthusiasts, can you please tell me how to build up a callous on my under finger? I hand quilt for a couple of hours in the evening, my under finger is so sore that I can't do it for several more days, and then I have to start all over again. I've tried "NuSkin" and "Liquid Bandage", and those sticky circles, but they don't help much and sometimes make it worse. Any suggestions, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hope I didn't break any forum rules by doing this.

When I hand quilt I use a thimble on both hands, and the needle hits the bottom thimble. If you have trouble keeping it on your finger, just breathe into the thimble before you put it on your finger. The lower thimble not only protects my finger but also allows me to pop that needle right back up and makes my stitches smaller and more even!

ginnie6 03-18-2011 05:09 AM

I cannot quilt with a thimble...I've tried several. The one that comes closet to usable is the leather ones. Of course I can't find mine right now. I built up a callous pretty easy when i started this one. But when I need something on my finger I've found that a plastic bandaid works best. If i actually need a bandaid for a cut I like the fabric ones but I keep a box of plastic just for quilting now.

jolo 03-18-2011 05:35 AM

I hand quilt,but have to admit my tops are way ahead of me. I need to sandwich one now but cant get down on the floor to do it any longer.Trying to find and area to do this in my small area.lol

Laura F 03-18-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
I hand quilt,but have to admit my tops are way ahead of me. I need to sandwich one now but cant get down on the floor to do it any longer.Trying to find and area to do this in my small area.lol

If you have any teacher friends close by... see if they have a room with tables that can be pushed together. I have to take my quilts into my friends classroom and use her tables, because I do not have a space big enough to lay out my king size quilts.