Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just tried this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-tried-t252589.html)

PghPat 08-28-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6863327)
No! Sorry! The issue is dry, cracked hands. Ask me how I know. I lived on a farm for 50 years, and milked cows and had a garden. Sometimes my fingers bled. Now I use Melaleuca Intensive Skin Therapy. The results are almost instantaneous. Love that stuff. Other people use bag balm. Find something that works for you. And I'm going to try the dryer sheets, too. Even with smooth hands it's sometimes hard to get rid of those pesky little threads.

Maviskw......in response to your comment about those "hard to get rid of pesky little threads"......I could not live without my pieces of batting right by my sewing machine and on my ironing board. Every piece of thread (ravels) that I cut I wipe onto a piece of batting - no more threads on the floor because they missed the garbage can or my thread catcher. Sometimes I have a strip of batting over my shoulder. And it's so simple to scrape all the threads from the batting when I feel like cleaning up. Try it - if you haven't already. Pat

madamekelly 08-28-2014 04:33 PM

I understand. I have exzema on my hands and after years of trying to find something to help, I accidentally figured out the best thing for dry skin was good old baby cream. Nothing else I have tried has worked.

MargeD 08-28-2014 04:37 PM

Good tip, thanks. There is a product, I think it is "Udder's cream", which was intended for you guessed it, cow's udders, however, I have had numerous quilters tell me that it really works and keeps your hands soft. I've also used Eucerin cream for rough hands.

nannyrick 08-28-2014 05:26 PM

Great tip!! Thanks.

maviskw 08-28-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6863871)
Well, your issue may be dry, cracked hands. I was commenting specifically on the OP's post, where she states that cream doesn't work, but she found that rubbing her hands on a dryer sheet helped tremendously. From these statements I deduced that her issue was more static-related.

Could be, but the original post says "rough hands" right after the word "gardening" Been there, done that.

shasta5718 08-29-2014 06:48 AM

Wow! Will keep some by machines. Thank you

shirleyd 08-29-2014 06:59 AM

That's a great tip! Thank you! Those clingy threads can be very annoying.:thumbup:

Sallyflymi 08-29-2014 08:06 AM

I have been using dryer sheets on my embroidery floss and it doesn't knot up as much.

quiltingshorttimer 08-29-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom (Post 6864024)
I use Eucerin a lot. I also like A&D diaper rash ointment. Smells weird but it works. I use Satin hands from Mary Kay also. It works and smells good too.

I'll second the A & D ointment--its a miracle for my weird, seasonal excema! (also second the mediciney smell!)

maggie_1936 08-29-2014 06:05 PM

great tip thanks