Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I know dumb question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-know-dumb-question-t120470.html)

stitchofclass2 05-04-2011 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I use two methods for hanging wall hangings. If they're small enough I just fold two squares in half on the diagonal and sew one into each top corner when I put the binding on. I make a tube if the wall hanging is bigger than about 18 inches across. To make the tube I cut my fabric at least 7 inches wide by the length of the wall hanging. I hem each end by folding it over half an inch twice. I fold the tube in half lengthwise and line up the raw edges with the top when I sew the binding on and then hand stitch down the free edges when I do the binding.

This is pretty much the way I do mine except for the following:

I cut my piece 8" wide by DOUBLE the finished length needed. (I like my pocket to finish approximately 1" shorter than the wall hanging on each end.

I then sew the length together with a 1/2" seam.

I fold the piece in half (short side) and then sew onto the wall hanging at approximately 1/8".

Then sew the binding on the quilt.

Using double the length creates a "finished" side for the pocket on the inside (where you put a rod through) and the outside. This prevents the rod from getting hung up on the raw edge of the seam.

I hope this helps.

east side quilter 05-04-2011 05:04 AM

I use a sleev. simple

nab 05-04-2011 06:03 AM

No question is dumb. We do not want anyone to be too shy to ask what they think is a dumb question. We all learn from them.

Lavada 05-04-2011 06:30 AM

my home-ec teacher told us if you do not know ask how else are we able to learn of course thats bee several uears ago

quilting in my60s 05-04-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Monie
How do you attach and what is used to hang the wall quilts? Thanks in advance, monie

It depends on how big the wall hanging is. If it is fairly small I put them up on the wall with straight pins-the kind without colored heads so when I take it down it leaves really small holes in the wall. I also have used the 3m product that you can pull off when you want to change and use the wooden quilt hangers you can buy at Joann's then I stained mine as they come unpainted/unstained. Wood quilt hangers is what they are called on Joann's website

Jammin' Jane 05-04-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by debcavan
Most people attach a sleeve. I put my sleeve in two pieces so there is a hole in the middle. That way I can hang it on one nail.

What a great idea, Deb!

mimiknoxtaylor 05-04-2011 08:33 AM

I've used about the methods already named but I saw a new one at a recent quilt show. They ran a lath strip with large magnets attached and another strip was attached to the wall. She just slapped that puppy up there & presto! It was up there. Haven't had time to come up with plan for it but you could probably google it

Marge L. 05-04-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I use the curtain clips and hang it on a rod. I have 2 stationary rods in my home one on the wall at the bottom of my stairs and one on the landing wall. I like being able to display my quilts. :D

Mrs. M.---- Where do you find your clips? That sounds easier for me. I also have a very long rod that I purchased some time ago and never been used. Good way to get it out of the corner. Thanks. Marge L.

phylby 05-04-2011 12:25 PM

I use plastic rings that I bought at JoAnns and stitch them on the back. Then I slide a rod through it. I then just hang it on a nail or 2.

grammysharon 05-04-2011 02:20 PM

I agree, I never thought of that!!

Originally Posted by cinnya

Originally Posted by debcavan
Most people attach a sleeve. I put my sleeve in two pieces so there is a hole in the middle. That way I can hang it on one nail.

cool never thought of that. :-D