Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I know its bad and hopeless but I just wanted to ask (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-know-its-bad-hopeless-but-i-just-wanted-ask-t301467.html)

meyert 12-10-2018 04:10 AM

Thanks for your replies - I know I just have to suck it up :) I will just wait a few days till I get over the despair that I feel now :)

feline fanatic 12-10-2018 05:34 AM

How fussy is your son? Will he really mind that there are a puckers in the back or for that matter even notice? Washing in hot water and drying in the dryer covers a multitude of sins! ;)

ArtsyOne 12-10-2018 05:35 AM

I feel bad for you. I've had this happen before I started using basting spray; unquilting goes much faster than one would think and is a nice mindless activity. You'll feel so much better.

SillySusan 12-10-2018 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 8173923)
How fussy is your son? Will he really mind that there are a puckers in the back or for that matter even notice? Washing in hot water and drying in the dryer covers a multitude of sins! ;)

My thoughts, also. I bet he would love it with all the imperfections. Why not give it to him with a note promising him to fix it later and see what he says. We are such perfectionists, but most people are not, and imperfections make things "unique" and human.

Austinite 12-10-2018 07:15 AM

I would undo and redo it unless your son is a child then I wouldn't bother. I make things for small humans all the time and they are too busy looking at the cool fabrics to notice the quilting, they are my favorite projects to do FMQ on since I'm still learning.

Onebyone 12-10-2018 07:19 AM

I would pick out the stitches. Go between the back and the batting to unpick to lessen the chance of ripping the fabric. Start unpicking from around the wrinkle, you may not have to go to far to ease it out.

francie yuhas 12-10-2018 08:13 AM

If this is a competition or a family heirloom quilt....then rip away. If it’s a utility quilt....look at the other side of the quilt and call it good to go.

SusieQOH 12-10-2018 09:04 AM

To be perfectly honest my 3 boys would not have a problem with that. In fact I know 2 of them wouldn't even notice.

nativetexan 12-10-2018 09:04 AM

don't feel bad. it boggles my mind how long armers i see on television have their fabric so loose when they do their quilting. it seems to work out for them and that is the front!! Good luck!!

meyert 12-10-2018 09:11 AM

well... of course mom here went to a lot of trouble on this quilt. I have never made my son a tshirt quilt because he sort of acts like I am silly :) he's not all wrong either ha ha

He goes to Xavier in Cincy and I caught him eyeing the tshirt quilt that I made for his cousin who went to Butler in Indy. From the look in his eyes when he saw that Butler quilt he wants one of his own. I know he would like to have it in his apartment - if mom doesn't screw it up and is able to complete it in reasonably decent shape

you want to laugh at me? Xavier basketball went to the Elite 8 in the NCAA March Madness tourney during my son's senior year. That was only the third time in school history. I could not find that tshirt anywhere .... so silly me I had a special run made of the tshirt just so I would have it in the quilt..... then I go and screw up the quilting :( (side note if anyone wants to buy a Xavier Elite 8 tshirt I have some to sell ha ha ha ha)

No doubt in my mind that I will be ripping it out... I just hate that extra work and concerns of messing up more. I posted hoping for a miracle I guess

I think this is the only quilt that I ever remember having this backing wrinkle happen to me on. I even broke down and bought 505 spray for the basting.

And of course it had to be a special quilt. Its for christmas so I do have a little time

thanks for your thoughts and I will watch that video on skinning a quilt

you know what I will doing in my spare time now don't you? :)

Thanks for all of your words of encouragment