Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I know its bad and hopeless but I just wanted to ask

I know its bad and hopeless but I just wanted to ask

I was working on this quilt for my son for Christmas and during the quilting I turned it over and aaccckk!! I had gotten too far and the only option I can see it to pick everything out and start over - - which I can't see myself doing. too much picking and too little patience

Does anyone know any tricks?

There are 2 spots and the one spot is worse than the other - but they are both bad news

Name:  47680737_337970703650830_132753715382714368_n.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  537.5 KBName:  47581005_2065605840397556_6006700823621402624_n.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  497.4 KB

I feel your pain. I hate ripping out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by intoquilting View Post
    I feel your pain. I hate ripping out. Good luck.
    So Sorry. Ditto.
    Sheryl

The Trick ... a good time to watch a mindless Christmas TV show, while you unstitch!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

How about an applique over the problem spots...something that goes with the front....or maybe a block to match front blocks (if the front has blocks...)

Power Poster
    The ones at the edge I would take out the border and redo. I had a patterned back with a pleat once and I pinned one side and pressed with my iron towards the pins until the backing was flat with a pleat in the backing. I then used an invisible layer stitch to stitch the pleat down hiding the extra fabric. You can’t even see it but it would be more noticeable with a plain back. If you can get most of it fixed, put the label over the worse spot?
    Last edited by Tartan; 12-09-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    You'll be surprised it goes quicker than you think. Ask me how I know.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Google. Skinning a Quilt. Might be helpful. Videos are interesting.

Use your hubby's electric nose clipper. It really goes fast and no cutting of the fabric either. Ask me how I know.

twice I've used my seam ripper on baby sized quilts and picked the entire machine quilting out. Its not my favorite thing to do but it didn't take as long as I thought and both were finished finally.
    Life is Good!!!

Thanks for your replies - I know I just have to suck it up I will just wait a few days till I get over the despair that I feel now

How fussy is your son? Will he really mind that there are a puckers in the back or for that matter even notice? Washing in hot water and drying in the dryer covers a multitude of sins!

I feel bad for you. I've had this happen before I started using basting spray; unquilting goes much faster than one would think and is a nice mindless activity. You'll feel so much better.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    How fussy is your son? Will he really mind that there are a puckers in the back or for that matter even notice? Washing in hot water and drying in the dryer covers a multitude of sins!
    My thoughts, also. I bet he would love it with all the imperfections. Why not give it to him with a note promising him to fix it later and see what he says. We are such perfectionists, but most people are not, and imperfections make things "unique" and human.

I would undo and redo it unless your son is a child then I wouldn't bother. I make things for small humans all the time and they are too busy looking at the cool fabrics to notice the quilting, they are my favorite projects to do FMQ on since I'm still learning.

I would pick out the stitches. Go between the back and the batting to unpick to lessen the chance of ripping the fabric. Start unpicking from around the wrinkle, you may not have to go to far to ease it out.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    If this is a competition or a family heirloom quilt....then rip away. If it’s a utility quilt....look at the other side of the quilt and call it good to go.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

To be perfectly honest my 3 boys would not have a problem with that. In fact I know 2 of them wouldn't even notice.

Blog Entries
    don't feel bad. it boggles my mind how long armers i see on television have their fabric so loose when they do their quilting. it seems to work out for them and that is the front!! Good luck!!

well... of course mom here went to a lot of trouble on this quilt. I have never made my son a tshirt quilt because he sort of acts like I am silly he's not all wrong either ha ha

He goes to Xavier in Cincy and I caught him eyeing the tshirt quilt that I made for his cousin who went to Butler in Indy. From the look in his eyes when he saw that Butler quilt he wants one of his own. I know he would like to have it in his apartment - if mom doesn't screw it up and is able to complete it in reasonably decent shape

you want to laugh at me? Xavier basketball went to the Elite 8 in the NCAA March Madness tourney during my son's senior year. That was only the third time in school history. I could not find that tshirt anywhere .... so silly me I had a special run made of the tshirt just so I would have it in the quilt..... then I go and screw up the quilting (side note if anyone wants to buy a Xavier Elite 8 tshirt I have some to sell ha ha ha ha)

No doubt in my mind that I will be ripping it out... I just hate that extra work and concerns of messing up more. I posted hoping for a miracle I guess

I think this is the only quilt that I ever remember having this backing wrinkle happen to me on. I even broke down and bought 505 spray for the basting.

And of course it had to be a special quilt. Its for christmas so I do have a little time

thanks for your thoughts and I will watch that video on skinning a quilt

you know what I will doing in my spare time now don't you?

Thanks for all of your words of encouragment
    Last edited by meyert; 12-10-2018 at 09:13 AM.

I would rip it out if I wasn't happy with it. I have ripped a couple quilts. Washing and drying will fix lots of boo boos.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

whew! just spent 3 hours with my seam ripper but its ripped out. Hopefully I will do better the second time around

thanks for all of your support... I just needed to process my grief ha ha ha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    whew! just spent 3 hours with my seam ripper but its ripped out. Hopefully I will do better the second time around

thanks for all of your support... I just needed to process my grief ha ha ha

I understand that process of the grief when we make a boo boo, especially on something special. However, us Mom's have super power's and always shine on.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Onward and upward!

Hope you take a deep breath and RIP, it probably isn’t something you want to keep. It will wear unevenly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast