Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know its bad and hopeless but I just wanted to ask >

I know its bad and hopeless but I just wanted to ask

I know its bad and hopeless but I just wanted to ask

Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 AM

My 2 cents: Slightly cutting the backing to get the fabric to lay flat and placing an appliqué or blocks that blend with the front might work. Also, once the quilt is washed, the shrinkage may take away much of the problem. Unfortunately, looks like many of us have dealt with the same situation. If it isn't going to the county fair, don't be too hard on yourself!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Default quilt back problems

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
How fussy is your son? Will he really mind that there are a puckers in the back or for that matter even notice? Washing in hot water and drying in the dryer covers a multitude of sins!
Would it be possible to cut down the center of the pucker and hand stitch it level? If it were a gift for my son, I feel
he would treasure your efforts and overlooks the mistakes.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Natalia Bonner has a very short YouTube showing how she rips (unstitched). Worth the watch.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The ones at the edge I would take out the border and redo. I had a patterned back with a pleat once and I pinned one side and pressed with my iron towards the pins until the backing was flat with a pleat in the backing. I then used an invisible layer stitch to stitch the pleat down hiding the extra fabric. You can’t even see it but it would be more noticeable with a plain back. If you can get most of it fixed, put the label over the worse spot?
I agree with Tartan. I did this once and it worked. Yes, it might still be noticeable on a plain fabric but my view is that it is the back and won't be seen anyway.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

if the quilting is good and looks good on the front, put another backing on it and call it done!!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:03 PM

That's exactly what I was going to recommend... wash that puppy and I bet you'll never know!

How fussy is your son? Will he really mind that there are a puckers in the back or for that matter even notice? Washing in hot water and drying in the dryer covers a multitude of sins!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM
mac

I also feel your pain. Been there done that. As the Chinese saying goes (modified for quilters): A long ripping journey starts with the first stitch.

As a lot of others have said, "It doesn't take as long as you would think." Either watch a mindless movie or listen to a book on tape/cd/etc.

I use my small battery operated clippers by Wahl. You can get them at Walmart for about $10 or Amazon for about $8. These are the same clippers that they sell at quilt shows and sell for $25. My friend bought one at a quilt show and just about fainted when she took off the seller's label. Here is the website for Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Pocket-P...NARAK02T4&th=1
Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM

100% this!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I also feel your pain. Been there done that. As the Chinese saying goes (modified for quilters): A long ripping journey starts with the first stitch.

As a lot of others have said, "It doesn't take as long as you would think." Either watch a mindless movie or listen to a book on tape/cd/etc.

I use my small battery operated clippers by Wahl. You can get them at Walmart for about $10 or Amazon for about $8. These are the same clippers that they sell at quilt shows and sell for $25. My friend bought one at a quilt show and just about fainted when she took off the seller's label. Here is the website for Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Pocket-P...NARAK02T4&th=1
How do you do it with clippers? Flip the top and batting up and clip between the batt and the back?