Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Desiring New Bernina

Desiring New Bernina

I am hoping to upgrade from my Bernina 730 to one of the newer machines in the 500 series or the 700 series. I like that the 700's have a 10" work space, but I've heard the 790 (which I have a chance to buy) is just a version of the 770 that had lots of bugs. Plus I understand it's discontinued. At first the discontinuation bothered me, but I don't think either of my Berninas are for sale anymore - so what's the difference. I'd like to hear from people that have bought a new Bernina within the last 6 months or so and let me know what you got and if you like it, problems you have had, etc.

Also, is there a place on the Quiltingboard to post things for sale - like my 730 and the cabinet I have for it? My current cabinet won't fit any of the newer machines.

Blog Entries
    We have an Items for Sale but you have to qualify. go to Home and Scroll down to the Members Only... for the rules
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I bought a 740 about 9 months ago. I love it and haven't had any problems at all.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I have a new 535 (picked up in April) and love it. I was able to try out a 770 for a good amount of time 25hours+ with my own projects and came to the conclusion I didn’t like the 9mm feed dog even with the dual feed but really liked the 5mm. The big thing lacking on the 535 are the nice embroidery features of the 590/790+ which would be really nice to have but for me 5mm feed dogs is a must feature so bernina has few options for me to be looking at.
    if I get in to embroidery enough that th lacking features are a giant pain it is most likely time to be looking at a better embroidery machine anyways.

so if look I would write a list of must, would like and features to tryout in order to find your best compromise which maybe a bernina or not.

The Bernina 790+ is my dream machine. I get to sell them where I work, but can't afford to buy one myself. We needed to make a pocket to hold rotary cutters, scissors and pens, for the store cutting tables. I made it out of denim and sewed 12 layers of denim without a hitch! The upgraded software is amazing and, yes, the bugs are worked out of it. One of my favorite features is the super wide decorative stitches that you get with side-ways feed. I love not having to lift the presser foot from behind, and I can start sewing without putting the presser foot down. I love the "hover" of the presser foot for applique. It has Bernina's "total stitch control," which means I can change any stitch. But I can also edit a stitch or combine stitches to make my own customized stitch. The BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) is so much better now, than when they first made it. I know Bernina had a hard start with the 7 Series. But they are on top of things now, and are making a better machine all around.
    Annette in Utah

Blog Entries
    I bought a 570 last spring, to replace my 153. I thought the larger throat space, stitch regulator, dual feed, and better lighting would make quilting easier and more enjoyable. I was wrong. I don't like the 9mm feed dogs, especially as I will never do any machine embroidery. The learning curve is a lot steeper than for the 153. I feel intimidated by the technology. If I could sell it, I would.

Leslie

I have a 790 , and it has been upgraed to 790+ , I just LOVE this machine ,I have sewn fo over 60 years and without
    a doubt this is the best machine I have ever sewn on.

Blog Entries
    I love my 770 and even though it took me months to decide if I wanted to spend the money on a Bernina, I have never regretted my decision.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have had my 770 for about 18 months and I love it! It stitches beautifully, no problems with tension. I have added the embroidery module about a month ago and I am having so much fun with it! I read on the machine embroidery sites people saying their various makes of machine doesn't like this or that make of thread or different makes of needles but my Bernina sews with any make of thread and needle.

You that don’t care for the 9mm feed dog, I was wonder what is your reason. I’m looking at the new 480 and was thinking of going with it over the 475 QE because of the wider feed dog.

OK' please note that the liking for the 9mm is subjective. If there was one clear winner that everyone agreed on there would only be one feed dog width.

My dislikes of the 9mm
    1. I had a very hard time peicing quilt blocks as 1/4 inch has very little feed dogs over the fabric on the right
    2. Much bigger issue as I sew a lot of costumes. I had large problems getting the fabric to turn tight curves as the feed dogs griped the fabric a little too well.
    3. I also founding hemming to work better on the 5mm.

What I liked about 9mm
    1. Decorative stitches

Others I know don't have the same problems with the 9mm. I would try out the 9mm for yourself with projects you do both quilting and clothing.

It depends on how you will most use it. The 9mm does seem to create a problem for those that will piece a lot because it doesn’t grab the same way. However, it does have a lot of decorating flexibility.

I've had a Bernina with 9mm and have had these issues that I've solved for me by doing:

For the 9mm, doing a 1/4" seam, this is my solution; using the #1 or 34 foot, move the needle right to #3or4 (sorry I forget) & place the material to the right edge of the foot. This way the fabric covers the feed dog.

I think when I've done tight curves I've used the #8 foot

Because the 770 (with 9mm) has a larger throat, I'm considering it over the 570. Can't make up my mind. What mm is the 570?

The width of the 770 is <19 1/2" which is too big for most OTC carrying cases. Don't know the 570 measurements.

I think the wts are 28 for 570 and 33 for 770. I'll need to try the machine in my carrying case & see if I can lift it into the car.

Any other comments comparing the two?

The newish 97D foot addresses the problem of piecing with the 9mm feed dogs. This is what I use and have no problems getting my accurate 1/4" seam.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    I've had a Bernina with 9mm and have had these issues that I've solved for me by doing:

For the 9mm, doing a 1/4" seam, this is my solution; using the #1 or 34 foot, move the needle right to #3or4 (sorry I forget) & place the material to the right edge of the foot. This way the fabric covers the feed dog.

I think when I've done tight curves I've used the #8 foot

Because the 770 (with 9mm) has a larger throat, I'm considering it over the 570. Can't make up my mind. What mm is the 570?

The width of the 770 is <19 1/2" which is too big for most OTC carrying cases. Don't know the 570 measurements.

I think the wts are 28 for 570 and 33 for 770. I'll need to try the machine in my carrying case & see if I can lift it into the car.

Any other comments comparing the two?
    The 570 also has the 9mm feed dogs. I don't like the idea of moving the needle, since then I can't use my straight-stitch throat plate. The 97D foot didn't help my piecing accuracy, but using the 57 foot (with the guide) seems to work well. I'm debating about getting the 57D, but I'm not sure I want to invest any more money into this machine.

I sew in the basement, and it is hard for my husband to carry the 570 upstairs if I want to take it to a class or to the shop for service.

I have an old sewing machine rolling tote that I got from Connecting Threads probably 20 years ago. Both my 153 and 570 fit in it (not at the same time, of course!) so I will use that until it gives out, or I do!

Leslie