Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Desiring New Bernina >

Desiring New Bernina

Desiring New Bernina

Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 PM

OK' please note that the liking for the 9mm is subjective. If there was one clear winner that everyone agreed on there would only be one feed dog width.

My dislikes of the 9mm
1. I had a very hard time peicing quilt blocks as 1/4 inch has very little feed dogs over the fabric on the right
2. Much bigger issue as I sew a lot of costumes. I had large problems getting the fabric to turn tight curves as the feed dogs griped the fabric a little too well.
3. I also founding hemming to work better on the 5mm.

What I liked about 9mm
1. Decorative stitches

Others I know don't have the same problems with the 9mm. I would try out the 9mm for yourself with projects you do both quilting and clothing.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 AM

It depends on how you will most use it. The 9mm does seem to create a problem for those that will piece a lot because it doesn’t grab the same way. However, it does have a lot of decorating flexibility.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:33 PM

I've had a Bernina with 9mm and have had these issues that I've solved for me by doing:

For the 9mm, doing a 1/4" seam, this is my solution; using the #1 or 34 foot, move the needle right to #3or4 (sorry I forget) & place the material to the right edge of the foot. This way the fabric covers the feed dog.

I think when I've done tight curves I've used the #8 foot

Because the 770 (with 9mm) has a larger throat, I'm considering it over the 570. Can't make up my mind. What mm is the 570?

The width of the 770 is <19 1/2" which is too big for most OTC carrying cases. Don't know the 570 measurements.

I think the wts are 28 for 570 and 33 for 770. I'll need to try the machine in my carrying case & see if I can lift it into the car.

Any other comments comparing the two?
Old 12-12-2018, 05:43 AM
anonymous

The newish 97D foot addresses the problem of piecing with the 9mm feed dogs. This is what I use and have no problems getting my accurate 1/4" seam.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
I've had a Bernina with 9mm and have had these issues that I've solved for me by doing:

For the 9mm, doing a 1/4" seam, this is my solution; using the #1 or 34 foot, move the needle right to #3or4 (sorry I forget) & place the material to the right edge of the foot. This way the fabric covers the feed dog.

I think when I've done tight curves I've used the #8 foot

Because the 770 (with 9mm) has a larger throat, I'm considering it over the 570. Can't make up my mind. What mm is the 570?

The width of the 770 is <19 1/2" which is too big for most OTC carrying cases. Don't know the 570 measurements.

I think the wts are 28 for 570 and 33 for 770. I'll need to try the machine in my carrying case & see if I can lift it into the car.

Any other comments comparing the two?
The 570 also has the 9mm feed dogs. I don't like the idea of moving the needle, since then I can't use my straight-stitch throat plate. The 97D foot didn't help my piecing accuracy, but using the 57 foot (with the guide) seems to work well. I'm debating about getting the 57D, but I'm not sure I want to invest any more money into this machine.

I sew in the basement, and it is hard for my husband to carry the 570 upstairs if I want to take it to a class or to the shop for service.

I have an old sewing machine rolling tote that I got from Connecting Threads probably 20 years ago. Both my 153 and 570 fit in it (not at the same time, of course!) so I will use that until it gives out, or I do!

Leslie