Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I love trying new quilting techniques. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-love-trying-new-quilting-techniques-t191663.html)

sandyl 06-13-2012 10:14 AM

I love trying new quilting techniques.

I have recently completed a French Roses quilt top. It was such fun to do.
I loved the soft edge way to applique. I've also made the flannel strip quilt
as you go. And I had fun doing that, as well.
What are some of your favorite new techniques? I am in the mood for a new
experience.
Sandy

kountrykreation 06-13-2012 10:17 AM

New to me... paper piecing. Just love it and going to try applique next

cmw0829 06-13-2012 10:20 AM

I'm going to be taking classes over the next few months in paper piecing and a quilt class using kaleidoscope techniques. Exciting!!

hsweany 06-13-2012 10:24 AM

I don't know if this is a technique, but I've sure had fun with the Lilltle Twister ruler today.

Handcraftsbyjen 06-13-2012 10:45 AM

I'm addicted to Twister's. Heck, just look at my avatar for my most recent one. I also like the new Creative Grids double triangle rulers. That isn't the real name of the rulers, but one end is a 60 degree triangle and the other has a 45 degree one. If I was home I'd give the exact name. There are even books that were introduced at Quilt Market that go with the ruler.

grammatjr 06-13-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen (Post 5286445)
I'm addicted to Twister's. Heck, just look at my avatar for my most recent one. I also like the new Creative Grids double triangle rulers. That isn't the real name of the rulers, but one end is a 60 degree triangle and the other has a 45 degree one. If I was home I'd give the exact name. There are even books that were introduced at Quilt Market that go with the ruler.

Uncle Sam is so cute! And he is a twister??? Your pattern, or where did you get it (if you don't mind sharing)?

DogHouseMom 06-13-2012 11:40 AM

So far, with every quilt I've made I've tried at least one new technique (I've only been quilting about 5 years). The quilt I'm working on now I'll be doing applique (new to me).

I think my favorite technique that I plan on incorporating more into my quilts is thread painting. I just love it and I find that it came quite easy to me. In a perfect world, I would have 6 or more identical machines set up to FMQ each with a different thread color so I could just move my quilt from one machine to another and not have to change thread too often :) I would love to make a "whole cloth" quilt from nothing but thread painting.

DebraK 06-13-2012 11:52 AM

that would be a perfect world ;-)

hopetoquilt 06-13-2012 11:53 AM

You may enjoy fabric folding. I have 2 books on the topic. The photos are gorgeous and the technique is challenging.

Earleen 06-13-2012 03:00 PM

I have doe a wall hanging with the folded method and it sure is fun and seemed quick to me.

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 5286569)
You may enjoy fabric folding. I have 2 books on the topic. The photos are gorgeous and the technique is challenging.