Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I WAS making son a Bargello, but he wants a San Diego Charger Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-making-son-bargello-but-he-wants-san-diego-charger-quilt-t252967.html)

Barb in Louisiana 09-03-2014 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I went to Yahoo and searched for San Diego Chargers Fabric. There were many listing, mostly of the same fabric to choose from. Some tee shirt sites, even a Joann's sale on the cotton fabric.

Just an idea from me....most guys don't really care for a fancy, many pieced quilt if they are going to use it a lot. They really want fairly simple and the ability to hold up under use. Warm Wishes is a great pattern for that. It would be a very easy pattern to change the size of the focus squares so that you could do some fussy cutting. There are free downloads of the pattern on the Internet. This is one I made for a Granddaughter.

PaperPrincess 09-03-2014 04:01 AM

If you want just one big star, here's a tutorial for one that's 48". You can replace the center pinwheel blocks with a 24" square of fabric:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t-t209049.html
Then add as many borders as you like to make it larger.

Marsh 09-03-2014 08:03 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses re. a football quilt. All of the quilt pictures are beautiful!! Momto5 I have no idea what you suggested means. I'm sure from all these suggestions I will figure out something.

Judith1005 09-03-2014 08:09 AM

A DP9 would be nice. That way you could mix in the Charger fabric and use Charger colors in different prints. If you put the Charger fabric in the outer corners, you won't cut through the print. Or, Chinese coins. Again mix in regular prints and Charger print. There are lots of patterns you could use.

cjr 09-03-2014 08:38 AM

I make a lot of sports quilts. Start with your Chargers fabric, get some goldish yellow and bright blue, & a little white. Also if you can find some fabric with footballs on or helmets or both you are set. Above suggestions all good. Use a pattern that you can feature Team fabric. An easy way to start is use a FQ as a center medallion. Good Luck. Post photos

cjr 09-03-2014 08:40 AM

PS Use a little bit of pink as she is a Lady Charger fan

Marsh 09-03-2014 08:54 AM

thank you. do you have any photos of your quilts?

Prissnboot 09-03-2014 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt for my former Rabbi. He is a dyed-in-the-wool Steelers fan, and I really went wild with this. I realize the Chargers don't have the history and accomplishments that the Steelers do, but it was a fun learning experience. I don't have the link to the pattern, but it was easy (a tube pattern) and went together quickly. PM me if you want me to look it up for you and I'll be happy to do so.

On the solid blocks, I machine embroidered team info. For instance, I included info for the six Superbowls the Steelers won, included all the Hall of Fame members, the three recent stadiums they have played in, the Immaculate Reception (of course), the Terrible Towel (as well as a poem about it), lots of factoids. The back was done in Steelers fleece, and I think he liked that almost more than the front of the quilt, which made me want to just SMACK him!

Marsh 09-03-2014 10:00 AM

What a wonder quilt. I bet he loved it. There is only 1 style of cotton fabric for the Chargers- so I don't have much variety to work with. Thank you.

Judith1005 09-03-2014 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by barbgooch (Post 6872042)
Since I'm a Seattle Seahawk's fan, this is how I did one for a friend's grandson, who is a young fan. The block, called Christmas Star, I used is from "The Quilt Life" magazine. The quilting on the sides is footballs, helmets in each block, and the Seahawk's logo on the top and bottom border. You can pretty much adapt any block that you like to use team fabric.

Wow, this is an awesome quilt. Very football, Very classy. I like it a lot.