Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-must-admit-im-getting-frustrated-perfection-t96190.html)

ruthrec 02-05-2011 05:53 AM

Perfection is the goal, which we'll never achieve. We just do our best. I just love the "galloping horse rule." I'd never heard that. May I borrow it? All my quilts have glitches which give them their "character." Each is one of a kind. I'm happy with them. The recipients never notice unless I tell them. Have fun and learn to ride a "galloping horse." I plan to. lol

pegquilter8 02-05-2011 07:59 AM

Oh, Becky, Thamk you. I teach and have my share of newbies who MUST make it perfect, only to not hit the mark and become disenchanted. I love to show off my Mistakes and hopefully the'll relax and enjoy the process. I try to tell them that only one perfect quilter in the Universe and she didn't sign up for my class.

mannem 02-05-2011 08:29 AM

Ever so often I get invited to co-judge the quilts of the county show. Most of the time my co-judge(there are 2 of us) and I pick 'Best of Show' not for the perfection of matched seams or perfect points. Rather we choose the quilt that knocks our socks off by using unconventional methods or outrageous color combinations that may not be my preference. A quilt can be sewn ever so perfectly, if it is boring, it won't win. I strive to be fair and not let my own tastes interefere with that.

mannem 02-05-2011 08:33 AM

I'd like to add that the winner can't be a piece of junk lol, it has to be of good quality.

BobbiG 02-05-2011 11:08 AM

Sometimes, we do things because the doing is what gives us pleasure. It's not always necessary to to our best.

tuesy 02-05-2011 11:14 AM

I know I'll never be perfect, only God is perfect. I just do the best I can and don't sweat the small sh*t.

Quilter Lois 02-05-2011 01:33 PM

I heard Eleanor Burns say to "hold it three feet away and if you can't see anything wrong, good, but if you, can keep it moving!" Then she swayed the quilt back and forth!! That was at a guild meeting several years ago and the whole group laughed their selves silly!!! What a great outlook!!

Quilter Lois 02-05-2011 01:34 PM

I have done the same kind of judging and it is lots of fun. However, you are right, it can be difficult but I usually vote for the same type of "knock your socks off" look!!

Quilter Lois 02-05-2011 01:35 PM

Judging is very subjective and can be difficult if you are in a love with a particular type of technique at the moment.

QuiltinginSD 02-05-2011 02:12 PM

I've always struggled with perfection and quilting fit right in! It's taken me a while to get used to letting the imperfections stay. I love the quote in my signature. It says exactly how I feel now. I make my quilts as excellent as I can and that's good enough for me.