Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need binding help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-binding-help-please-t303046.html)

craft 02-17-2019 06:49 AM

I need binding help please

What are the different sizes you can make a binding for a quilt? Also, how do you make one that will go with the quilt that you are making. I have seen some real narrow ones on baby quilts. I have always had problems when it comes to making and binding my quilts. I sure can use your help with this issue please. Thank you, craft

Watson 02-17-2019 06:58 AM

I usually make my binding 2 1/4" and fold it in half.

I recently saw a video where the lady made hers 2" and I'm going to try that next time.

Watson

Sewgood 02-17-2019 06:59 AM

I would say 99.9% of the time I cut my binding 2 1/4" wide (straight binding, although I use the same width for my bias binding). Fold in half and stitch with 1/4" seam allowance and wrap all the way to the back and do the final stitching by hand.

Monika 02-17-2019 07:24 AM

I do 2.5 for all of mine. That way all my leftover pieces can be used for scrappy binding.

QuiltnNan 02-17-2019 07:30 AM

I also make mine 2.25". I have always heard that quilt judges like to see the binding 'full' and this width achieves that.

Tartan 02-17-2019 07:42 AM

I also routinely cut my binding 2-1/4 inches out of straight of grain fabric and fold it in half. I use my regular zig zag foot on my Bernina to sew it on the quilt front. The zig zag foot is just a tad over 1/4 inch and I find that gives me just the right amount of binding to fold to the back and hand stitch. I do all my joins in the binding at 45* because they make a smoother binding. If I am going to all machine sew a binding, I use Chariama’s QB tutorial on Quick machine binding with flange.

Iceblossom 02-17-2019 08:37 AM

I make bias binding and I use the french double fold technique. I'm typically working on bed sized projects and I figure it's my last chance to choose a fabric so I make my bindings a bit wider than average, I typically cut at 3". There is an extra long ruler out there that is 2.5", that's a help and sometimes I use that, but mostly 3", and I've gone bigger now and then.

I do not trim my quilt until after I put the binding on. I cut 1/2" from the seam line, that gives me a full binding, and that seam is usually easy for me to see.

Boston1954 02-17-2019 10:23 AM

I guess I'm the odd one out here. When I started quilting, I knew nothing, so I cut mine at 1 1/2. I still do it this way. I sew onto the front and then fold over to the back and hand sew that down.

RedGarnet222 02-17-2019 11:28 AM

I use the length I feel will look best on the quilt I am making. Larger ones I use a 3 inch and smaller ones are to scale.

Onebyone 02-17-2019 11:36 AM

I like wide binding. It's easier to sew and a dream to miter. I plan my borders to allow for wide binding so nothing gets chopped off if pieced. I won't mess with narrow binding. Too tedious for me. I won Viewer's Choice with a quilt that had 2" binding. The judges didn't like the binding in their comments. I got the popular ribbon anyway. LOL