Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help with my new "stash closet"! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-my-new-%22stash-closet%22-t60558.html)

bob1414 08-23-2010 06:46 AM

Is there some way that you can make the "door" your design wall? Maybe a rollup blind-type of thing that is made of flannel or whatever. That way you'd have a design wall and not use up other wall space. I'm just thinking out loud........

catrancher 08-23-2010 07:35 AM

I would worry more about dust than the sun. You can pull the blinds to keep the sun off your pretties, but it's hard to keep the dust off, and how are you going to dust them? I don't know about you, but my sewing room is a dusty, linty place.

lance1quilts22 08-23-2010 08:16 AM

My personal opional is to leave it open, but I like to see what I have when I am looking for something to work with in stead of having to uncover it. Would you be inclined to stack stuff in front of the door if it was up?

cpfrog 08-23-2010 08:53 AM

Sliding doors NO!
Bi-fold doors YES!
then you can keep them entirely open to see your inspirational stash and have much more easy access to the shelves.
When company comes or the sun streams in, just close them!!!
Oh, I'd also get the louvered or part (top) louvered ones to allow air flow (reduces chances of mildew).
Dust happens. That is why they invented washing machines and all kinds of soaps.
Enjoy your stash and give that DH of yours my congrats on a fine job! What a guy and what a lucky woman!

MsSewer 08-23-2010 09:55 AM

I had my entire stash on open shelving in my sewing room.
I was looking for some fabric in my stash and noticed how dirty the fabric was!!! Some of the folds had faded from the sun (two windows in the room. So, if it was me I would definitely put something on the front. It you don't want the doors back, maybe you could cover it with a tension rod with a curtain.

lnikkers52 08-23-2010 10:18 AM

what do i think???? hummmmmm I think it's wonderful as is. and i think i would like your dh to build one for me

bjnicholson 08-23-2010 10:51 AM

Keep it open and sew very fast. This way you can "rotate the stock" and everything will stay clean and fresh!

New knee 08-23-2010 01:20 PM

Your stash is disgustingly neat!! I would not dare show a picture of mine- looks like the devil had a fit in there.

IBQUILTIN 08-23-2010 03:17 PM

My stash closet is about that size, and if I had doors on it it would look a lot worse than it already does. Tidy is not my middle name. I ruler fold and stack, and turn around and its back to messy. Love your closet though, and the design wall idea is a good one if you don't have a wall you can dedicate

ccthomas 08-23-2010 03:34 PM

I would use the doors; when I wanted inspiration I would open the doors but have the choice to close them. I often forget those little details like closing the blinds when I am overloaded with other tasks, distractions, etc. The closet doors would be easier.