Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help with a rag quilt please. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-rag-quilt-please-t205697.html)

Joy Higdon 11-11-2012 11:07 AM

I need help with a rag quilt please.

I am trying to do a rag quilt Christmas tree. The instructions aren't very clear or I am just too dumb. It is made with 7 1/2 inch blocks with batting in between. When I sew the horizonal rows together, do I sew all 4 fabrics together with the wrongs sides together? Then when I sew the vertical rows together it says to press open the seams and sew. I am assuming it means the horizontal row seams which it will be a little tricky cutting the seams in that area. See, I am too dumb to even make my questions understandable. Just hope someone can understand and help me. Thanks

ragquilter 11-11-2012 11:39 AM

Yes, the seam is outside not enclosed in fabric. Sew the seam to the front side of the quilt. I never press but you open the seam when you pin the rows together. When I start to clip I clip the joints first, that loosens up the seams and then I can pinch both sides of the seam together to clip. I'm not sure I explained it very well but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain it better.

Joy Higdon 11-11-2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ragquilter (Post 5649926)
Yes, the seam is outside not enclosed in fabric. Sew the seam to the front side of the quilt. I never press but you open the seam when you pin the rows together. When I start to clip I clip the joints first, that loosens up the seams and then I can pinch both sides of the seam together to clip. I'm not sure I explained it very well but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain it better.

Thank you so much for your quick response. I can always count on someone to come through for me.

carolaug 11-11-2012 11:56 AM

Jenny has a really good tute on how to make a rag quilt. There are also some good videos on this board.

jcrow 11-11-2012 01:20 PM

I don't understand what you mean when you say you sew all four fabrics together. Shouldn't it be three? The front, the batting and the back? And you sew an X or a line on each square to hold the batting in place. I think you have the rest figured out. I was just wondering where you came up with four fabrics instead of three. Maybe I'm wrong.

misskira 11-11-2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5650129)
I don't understand what you mean when you say you sew all four fabrics together. Shouldn't it be three? The front, the batting and the back? And you sew an X or a line on each square to hold the batting in place. I think you have the rest figured out. I was just wondering where you came up with four fabrics instead of three. Maybe I'm wrong.

You can use 3 or 4 layers of flannel stacked up all the same size instead of a small piece of batting for the center. Maybe that's what she's doing.

ragquilter 11-11-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5650129)

I assumed (and you know what that means) that she wasn't counting the batting because it isn't sewn in the seam, it is cut smaller. So maybe I replied wrong, I hope I didn't mess her up.

Joy Higdon 11-11-2012 03:31 PM

When I said 4 fabrics, I was referring to the two squares that you sew together with wrong sides together. Each square is made up of two squares of fabric with a square of batting in between. Thanks everyone, you have been a great help. I think I have it now.

romanojg 11-12-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon (Post 5650371)
When I said 4 fabrics, I was referring to the two squares that you sew together with wrong sides together. Each square is made up of two squares of fabric with a square of batting in between. Thanks everyone, you have been a great help. I think I have it now.

I'm confused. I've made many of these. I have two squares that are the same size, one for the top and one for the bottom and then a layer of batting that goes in between the two layers which is cut about 1in smaller that the other two squares. I sandwhich all three together and sew an X in the middle to hold them all together. Then each gets sewed together. You don't have 4 fabrics you only have 2 plus one batting unless you are using flannel in place of the batting then it's 3 layers of fabric and no batting. I'm not getting where you say 4. Another thing you can do instead of making the x in the middle is put a design there; which would be great for Christmas or a kids

Peckish 11-12-2012 08:27 AM

When she sews her finished squares together, wouldn't it be 4 then? Each square has backing fabric, batting, top fabric. That's 2 layers of fabric. Then when she sews 2 blocks together (to assemble the quilt) she would have 4 layers of fabric.