Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: I need help with a rag quilt please.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Joy Higdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Groveland, Fl
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    16

    I need help with a rag quilt please.

    I am trying to do a rag quilt Christmas tree. The instructions aren't very clear or I am just too dumb. It is made with 7 1/2 inch blocks with batting in between. When I sew the horizonal rows together, do I sew all 4 fabrics together with the wrongs sides together? Then when I sew the vertical rows together it says to press open the seams and sew. I am assuming it means the horizontal row seams which it will be a little tricky cutting the seams in that area. See, I am too dumb to even make my questions understandable. Just hope someone can understand and help me. Thanks
    Joy

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    kannapolis, nc
    Posts
    391
    Yes, the seam is outside not enclosed in fabric. Sew the seam to the front side of the quilt. I never press but you open the seam when you pin the rows together. When I start to clip I clip the joints first, that loosens up the seams and then I can pinch both sides of the seam together to clip. I'm not sure I explained it very well but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain it better.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Joy Higdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Groveland, Fl
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
    Yes, the seam is outside not enclosed in fabric. Sew the seam to the front side of the quilt. I never press but you open the seam when you pin the rows together. When I start to clip I clip the joints first, that loosens up the seams and then I can pinch both sides of the seam together to clip. I'm not sure I explained it very well but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain it better.
    Thank you so much for your quick response. I can always count on someone to come through for me.
    Joy

  4. #4
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    Jenny has a really good tute on how to make a rag quilt. There are also some good videos on this board.

  5. #5
    Super Member jcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Posts
    2,734
    Blog Entries
    5
    I don't understand what you mean when you say you sew all four fabrics together. Shouldn't it be three? The front, the batting and the back? And you sew an X or a line on each square to hold the batting in place. I think you have the rest figured out. I was just wondering where you came up with four fabrics instead of three. Maybe I'm wrong.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg, OR
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I don't understand what you mean when you say you sew all four fabrics together. Shouldn't it be three? The front, the batting and the back? And you sew an X or a line on each square to hold the batting in place. I think you have the rest figured out. I was just wondering where you came up with four fabrics instead of three. Maybe I'm wrong.
    You can use 3 or 4 layers of flannel stacked up all the same size instead of a small piece of batting for the center. Maybe that's what she's doing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    kannapolis, nc
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I don't understand what you mean when you say you sew all four fabrics together. Shouldn't it be three? The front, the batting and the back? And you sew an X or a line on each square to hold the batting in place. I think you have the rest figured out. I was just wondering where you came up with four fabrics instead of three. Maybe I'm wrong.
    I assumed (and you know what that means) that she wasn't counting the batting because it isn't sewn in the seam, it is cut smaller. So maybe I replied wrong, I hope I didn't mess her up.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Joy Higdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Groveland, Fl
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    16
    When I said 4 fabrics, I was referring to the two squares that you sew together with wrong sides together. Each square is made up of two squares of fabric with a square of batting in between. Thanks everyone, you have been a great help. I think I have it now.
    Joy

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    5,055
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
    When I said 4 fabrics, I was referring to the two squares that you sew together with wrong sides together. Each square is made up of two squares of fabric with a square of batting in between. Thanks everyone, you have been a great help. I think I have it now.
    I'm confused. I've made many of these. I have two squares that are the same size, one for the top and one for the bottom and then a layer of batting that goes in between the two layers which is cut about 1in smaller that the other two squares. I sandwhich all three together and sew an X in the middle to hold them all together. Then each gets sewed together. You don't have 4 fabrics you only have 2 plus one batting unless you are using flannel in place of the batting then it's 3 layers of fabric and no batting. I'm not getting where you say 4. Another thing you can do instead of making the x in the middle is put a design there; which would be great for Christmas or a kids
    Judy

  10. #10
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,332
    Blog Entries
    1
    When she sews her finished squares together, wouldn't it be 4 then? Each square has backing fabric, batting, top fabric. That's 2 layers of fabric. Then when she sews 2 blocks together (to assemble the quilt) she would have 4 layers of fabric.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    5,055
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    When she sews her finished squares together, wouldn't it be 4 then? Each square has backing fabric, batting, top fabric. That's 2 layers of fabric. Then when she sews 2 blocks together (to assemble the quilt) she would have 4 layers of fabric.
    It wouldn't be 4 layers; the blocks are sewed together in rows so I'm not sure how this would end up to 4 layers. Unless you are talking about the seams that get cliped; the seams will be 4 layers once sewed together; but the blocks will still be 2 layers of fabric.. Maybe thats where the 4 layers comes in at. Took me awhile to think of that; Its early and has already been a hectic morning here at work.
    Judy

  12. #12
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,332
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is so frustrating. Maybe a visual will help. Here are 2 assembled blocks. Now we sew them together. Would this not be 4 layers of fabric?

    Name:  rag.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  183.8 KB

  13. #13
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,256
    Blog Entries
    2
    but no batting in the seam area. it's cut the "finished" square size to fit inside the seams.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Joy Higdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Groveland, Fl
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    When she sews her finished squares together, wouldn't it be 4 then? Each square has backing fabric, batting, top fabric. That's 2 layers of fabric. Then when she sews 2 blocks together (to assemble the quilt) she would have 4 layers of fabric.
    That is what I was trying to say. Guess I didn't know how to word it. Thanks Peggi
    Joy

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Cotswolds, England
    Posts
    79
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful notes - I am just about to start my first rag quilt!

  16. #16
    Junior Member Nancylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Goodrich, Michigan
    Posts
    221
    i used a zig zag stitch for my X!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.