Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a new iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-new-iron-t182618.html)

pinkberrykay 03-13-2012 04:25 AM

I bought an old vintage GE iron from the RESTORE store. Gets hotter then haddies and has a great steam.

gailinva 03-13-2012 04:26 AM

I also have these two Rowentas and love them. I guess in every brand you can get a lemon!!!!

Originally Posted by Drue (Post 5055833)
I like my Rowentas. Have used one for about 6 years now without any problems. Also bought the little Rowenta travel type iron (also has steam function) to take to quilting gatherings with me.

new2q 03-13-2012 04:37 AM

I have a Rowenta and a Black and Decker. I bought the Black and Decker for fusible interfacing, so I would not ruin the pricey Rowenta. Not much difference except in price. I would go with the cheaper one.

Stitchnripper 03-13-2012 04:58 AM

All good suggestions and we have had many conversations about irons recently that might give you some additional advice. Try using the Search function on the right near the top of the page. Good luck!!

QuiltnNan 03-13-2012 05:07 AM

if you pay for a pricier iron, how long might you expect it to last? I wait until i see a cheapie on sale, so 5-7 dollars. if i have to replace it every 2-3 years, i feel i'm ahead of the game. i did invest in a cordless iron several years ago. it had been packed away for a move and never unpacked. i'll have to get it out and give it a try again. thanks for bringing up this ironing thread.

gollytwo 03-13-2012 05:22 AM

I have about 8 irons and the one I use everyday is a nonteflon, no steam plain old iron from the 40s. Irons like a dream. None of my teflon/steam irons get hot enough
A good friend bought me the no steam/no teflon sold by The Vermont Country Store to use when the 40s goes to iron heaven. It too irons like a dream.

Havplenty 03-13-2012 05:40 AM

i have been using rowenta irons over 25 yrs and have never had the problems some have mentioned. rowenta is the only iron i use. i pay significantly more than $60 for my iron actually over $100.00. maybe that is why i don't have leak problems. i remember the days when rowentas were only sold through fabric stores.

the rowentas have more steam holes which is what i would look for in an iron i havent tried in other irons so i cant compare. in 25+ years i am on my 5th rowenta. this one is a 1750 watt iron and gets really HOT!

mighty 03-13-2012 06:12 AM

I just use the cheap black and decker,works good. I do not put waterin it just use spray bottle. I am going to check out the vermont country store to get my next iron.

AliKat 03-13-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 5055511)
Are you referring to the Olisio? It raises itself up so it won't scorch. Nice iron, but real pricey.

Yes, this is pricey but in more ways than money. I found I couldn't repeatedly lift it to press my fabric because the iron is too heavy for me! My hands really hurt after just two pressings!

I prefer my Black & Decker cheapo.

ali

momto5 03-13-2012 01:27 PM

Stay away from Rowenta and also from Shark. Both leak and just plain are NOT worth the money. I sent one back to Rowenta since I paid over $100 for it, and they did something to it. Don't know if it stopped it from leaking, 'cause that one has NEVER seen another drop of water! If I want a steam iron, I'll buy the cheapest one I can find, period.